Weeks left in election filing period; Here’s who’s runningJanuary 30, 2019
By CANDY NEAL
About two weeks remain in the filing period for those wanting to run for office in Jasper, Huntingburg, Ferdinand and Holland. And it’s already known that there will be some contested races on this year’s primary and general election ballots.
The filing period opened Jan. 9 and will close at noon Friday, Feb. 8. All mayoral, council and clerk-treasurer seats in the four municipalities are on the ballot.
In Jasper, Chad Lueken and Merrill Osterman will vie for the Republican nomination for the District 3 council seat. And Democrat incumbent Dave Hurst will face a challenge from Republican Adrian Engelberth for the District 4 council seat.
In Huntingburg, Republicans Alex Blackgrove and Keith Souders will seek the Republican nomination for the common council’s at-large seat.
The primary election, in which party candidates will be selected for Jasper and Huntingburg, will be Tuesday, May 7. If needed, party nominations for Ferdinand and Holland seats will be subject to a town convention.
The general election will be Tuesday, Nov. 5.
Here is the list of candidates who have filed for seats as of Tuesday afternoon.
• Council at large: Republican Melanie Barrett
• Mayor: Republican Denny Spinner
• Clerk-Treasurer: Democrat Tom Dippel
• Council District 1: Republican Glen Kissling
• Council at large: Republicans Alex Blackgrove and Keith Souders
• Mayor: Republican Dean Vonderheide
• Council District 2: Democrat John Schroeder
• Council District 3: Republicans Chad Lueken and Merrill Osterman
• Council District 4: Democrat Dave Hurst and Republican Adrian Engelberth
• Council District 5: Democrat Earl Schmitt
• Council District 6: Republican Kevin Manley
• Council at large (two seats): Republicans Nancy Eckerle and Phil Mundy
All municipal candidates file at the Dubois County Clerk’s Office. Any questions can be directed to the office, 812-481-7035.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Unintentionally, the Older Americans Center has become one of Dubois County’s best-kept...
Jasper attorney John Collins clocks in every day knowing he has the ability to make a...
After two years battling stage 4 colorectal cancer, Jasper resident Mary France died in her bed...
A plaque on the east side of the Dubois County Courthouse honors seven Revolutionary War...
Preschool is now more accessible for low-income Indiana families.
Ryan Menke participated in the Navy SEAL Hudson River Swim, the first sanctioned swim across the...
A recent Huntingburg Airport intern created a guidebook for interns and students interested in...
Many are familiar with the motorcycle gang archetype — rugged outlaws prone to violence. In...