Weeks left in election filing period; Here’s who’s runningJanuary 30, 2019
By CANDY NEAL
About two weeks remain in the filing period for those wanting to run for office in Jasper, Huntingburg, Ferdinand and Holland. And it’s already known that there will be some contested races on this year’s primary and general election ballots.
The filing period opened Jan. 9 and will close at noon Friday, Feb. 8. All mayoral, council and clerk-treasurer seats in the four municipalities are on the ballot.
In Jasper, Chad Lueken and Merrill Osterman will vie for the Republican nomination for the District 3 council seat. And Democrat incumbent Dave Hurst will face a challenge from Republican Adrian Engelberth for the District 4 council seat.
In Huntingburg, Republicans Alex Blackgrove and Keith Souders will seek the Republican nomination for the common council’s at-large seat.
The primary election, in which party candidates will be selected for Jasper and Huntingburg, will be Tuesday, May 7. If needed, party nominations for Ferdinand and Holland seats will be subject to a town convention.
The general election will be Tuesday, Nov. 5.
Here is the list of candidates who have filed for seats as of Tuesday afternoon.
• Council at large: Republican Melanie Barrett
• Mayor: Republican Denny Spinner
• Clerk-Treasurer: Democrat Tom Dippel
• Council District 1: Republican Glen Kissling
• Council at large: Republicans Alex Blackgrove and Keith Souders
• Mayor: Republican Dean Vonderheide
• Council District 2: Democrat John Schroeder
• Council District 3: Republicans Chad Lueken and Merrill Osterman
• Council District 4: Democrat Dave Hurst and Republican Adrian Engelberth
• Council District 5: Democrat Earl Schmitt
• Council District 6: Republican Kevin Manley
• Council at large (two seats): Republicans Nancy Eckerle and Phil Mundy
All municipal candidates file at the Dubois County Clerk’s Office. Any questions can be directed to the office, 812-481-7035.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
At 25, Eber Menjivar is the youngest member of the Jasper Utility Service Board, and he is the...
This week is Pine Ridge Elementary's sixth annual Wellness Week, an initiative focused on...
I’ve enjoyed a few stadium shakers in my time, but it’s the anti-arena acts on the smaller...
The hottest ticket the last two weekends for an Indiana volunteer firefighter had to be the...
Although he is in the middle of his Congressional work in the nation’s capital, U.S. Sen. Mike...
Bark in the Parklands was a joint event between the Dubois County Humane Society and the Jasper...
In celebration of Newspapers in Education Week, we asked elementary schoolers from Ireland,...
More than 500 attendees flooded the Jasper Community Arts Center and parts of Vincennes...