Weekend fires damage Huntingburg-area trailer

From Local Sources

HUNTINGBURG — Units of the Huntingburg Volunteer Fire Department responded twice during the weekend to fires at a trailer west of the Holland Junction.

Fire Chief Scott Patberg said the Indiana State Fire Marshal’s Office was called in to investigate after the second callout.

The first call to 5472 S. 750W was placed by neighbors and came at 11:05 p.m. Saturday.

The trailer home at the address is owned by Miguel Dubon and Sonia Bonilla but no one is permanently living there at this time, Patberg said.

“There was a fire pit in the back of the building,” Patberg said. “When we got there, there was a fire in the fire pit.”

Firefighters believe an ember from the fire in the outdoor fire pit may have ignited the back of the trailer.

“There was a trash can involved and the back of the trailer,” Patberg said.

Firefighters put out the fire but had not yet made contact with the property owners when, at 6:37 a.m. Sunday, they were called back to the scene.

There was another fire in the trailer close to the first damaged area.

“We didn’t feel very good about that, so that’s when we called the State Fire Marshal’s Office in to take a look at it with us,” the chief said. “The circumstances were kind of odd.”

The fire marshal’s investigator has spoken with the property owners, Patberg said this morning.

The fire burned a wall and some flooring in the trailer, the chief said.

Three trucks and 20 firefighters were on the scene 90 minutes during each response.

The Dubois County Sheriff’s Office and Memorial Hospital Emergency Medical Services assisted.

Later Sunday morning, at 8:30 a.m., the department was notified of a water flow riser alarm at OFS Brands’ Plant No. 3, 105 W. 10th St.

No problem was located and it was thought a water pressure fluctuation may have triggered the alarm, Patberg said.

Five trucks and 15 firefighters were on the scene 15 minutes.

The department also responded at 7:40 p.m. Saturday to an alarm activation at The Lofts at St. Joseph’s, 1900 Medical Arts Drive.

Patberg said steam from cooking food triggered an alarm.

Two trucks and 12 firefighters were on the scene 15 minutes.




More on DuboisCountyHerald.com