Weekend events set to honor Memorial DayMay 25, 2018
From Local Sources
Fallen U.S. military members will be honored Monday on Memorial Day. The day began as Decoration Day in 1868 to honor veterans lost to the Civil War. Mourners would decorate the graves of the fallen with flowers, flags and wreaths. The day was celebrated more widely by the late 19th century and after World War I, it became a day to honor those killed in all of America’s wars. Congress declared Memorial Day a national holiday in 1971 and that it be observed the last Monday in May.
Several events are planned across the area this weekend in honor of Memorial Day:
The Dubois County Veterans Council’s observance of Memorial Day will start at 10 a.m. Saturday and due to inclimate weather, will be at American Legion Post 147 on Newton Street in Jasper.
All of Dubois County’s veterans organizations will be represented and all veterans who died in the last year will be remembered.
The late Amos Braun will be honored at the event. Braun was an Army Air Corps sergeant who served as a waist gunner on a B-17 bomber. He flew 32 missions while assigned to the 534th Squadron of the 381st Bombardment Group at a Royal Air Force field in Ridgewell, England.
His missions were flown from April 1944 to July 31, 1944 — which included the Normandy Invasion in June 1944. He also flew a mission during the Battle of the Bulge in December 1944. His unit received two Presidential Unit Citations.
Braun’s decorations were the Air Medal with three Bronze Stars, the Good Conduct Medal, the American Campaign Medal, the European-African Middle Eastern Campaign with four Bronze Stars, the World War II Victory Medal and the Distinguished Flying Cross.
Only six of the 25 aircraft assigned to Braun’s squadron returned to the U.S. Gunners of the B-17 had a life expectancy of 17 percent on their first mission and only 3 percent on their second mission. Braun always thought his returning home was a blessing.
Braun was employed at Indiana Desk and retired as general manager after 40 years. He was a graduate of Indiana University, a member of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 673 and American Legion Post 147.
Braun married the late Laverne Beckman in March 1944. Braun died in April 2007 and is survived by two sons, Mike of Jasper and Steve of Zionsville; a daughter, Janet (Greg) Ostendorf of Zionsville; and 12 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
The guest speaker for Saturday’s Memorial Day observance is Petty Ofc. Jeffery Williams of Haubstadt who works in the Military Administration Liaison Office at Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center. Veterans Council President Chris Fleck will be the master of ceremonies. Bernie Jeffries and the Recycled Teenagers will perform the national anthem and other patriotic songs. Jasper Mayor Terry Seitz will also welcome those in attendance. Steve Bartels from the American Legion Riders will conduct the POW/MIA Ceremony. Dan Hollinden from Navy Club Ship 90 will conduct a ritual remembering sailors. Taps will be played by Mark Messmer of Jasper after the 21-gun salute honoring all deceased Veterans.
• St. Meinrad American Legion Post 366 will be at the cemetery in Siberia at 7:10 a.m. CDT and continue to the cemetery at Doolittle Mills at 7:30 a.m. CDT, St. Croix at 8 a.m. CDT, Fulda at 9 a.m. CDT, St. John’s Lutheran at New Boston at 9:20 a.m. CDT, St. John’s Catholic at 9:40 a.m. CDT, Kratzburg at 10 a.m. CDT and St. Meinrad at 10:25 a.m. CDT.
• Holland American Legion Post 343 will be at the cemetery in Selvin at 1 p.m. EDT. and continue to the cemeteries in Holland at 1:30 p.m., Zoar at 2 p.m., Stendal at 2:30 p.m. and St. Paul at 3 p.m.
• Ferdinand American Legion Post 124 will hold attend Mass at 7:30 a.m. at St. Henry Catholic Church followed by a Memorial Day ceremony at St. Ferdinand Catholic Church.
• The Shiloh Cemetery will host a Memorial Day program and dessert festival at 1 p.m. at the Shiloh Cemetery and meeting house, 4060 W. Shiloh Road in Jasper. The Weyer Girls will provide entertainment and attendees are encouraged to bring a dessert or fruit tray.
• Huntingburg VFW Post 2366 will be at St. Mary’s Catholic Church Cemetery at 8:30 a.m. and if it rains, the service will be held inside the church. The post will visit Fairmount Cemetery at 9 a.m. and if it rains, the service will be held at the post, 314 N. Geiger St. At 9:30 a.m., the post will visit Mayo Cemetery in Duff and the rainout location is the Duff Conservation Club. At 10 a.m., members will meet at the Dubois County Veterans Monument on 14th Street in Huntingburg near the event center. If it rains, the monument service will be held at the post along with the Fairmount Cemetery service at 9 a.m.
• Abe Lincoln American Legion Post 444 in Dale will host three Memorial Day services on Monday. They will meet at the American Legion building at 8:30 a.m CDT. The first ceremony will be at Jones Cemetery at 9 a.m. CDT, the second will be at The Garden of Memories at Gentryville at 10 a.m. CDT and the third will be at the Dale Cemetery at 11 a.m. CDT.
• Jasper VFW Post 673 and American Legion Post 147 will host 12 Memorial Day Services Monday. The services include Fairview Cemetery in Jasper at 9 a.m., Shiloh Cemetery in Jasper at 9:15 a.m., Saint Mary in Ireland at 9:30 a.m., St. John’s Lutheran in Otwell at 9:45 a.m., Portersville at 10 a.m., St. Paul’s Lutheran in Haysville at 10:15 a.m., Christ Lutheran in Haysville at 10:30 a.m., St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran in Dubois at 10:45 a.m., Crystal at 11 a.m., St. Peter’s United Church of Christ in Dubois at 11:30 a.m., St. Raphael in Dubois at 11:45 a.m. and Enlow Cemetery in Jasper at 12:10 p.m.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
State Sen. Mark Messmer, R-Jasper, has been a strong proponent of getting broadband service to...
When retired Forest Park Junior-Senior High School teacher Nate Schnellenberger passed away...
For about 25 years, Bob Zimmerman has preserved a lost chapter of history at the Lincoln Boyhood...
When Logan and Alicia Clark moved to Celestine in 2011, they had dreams of their children some...
Though summer officially begins Friday, kids have been out of school and hopping around the...
Woodcrest Capital of Forth Worth, Texas, has purchased the Jasper Manor Shopping Center located...
Rain has pounded Dubois County this week but stopped just in time Tuesday night to bring out a...
Celestine Elementary will close after the 2019-20 school year.