Watch and learn about solar systemJuly 9, 2019
PATOKA RESERVOIR — The 28th annual star party is scheduled from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, July 27, at the Patoka Lake Nature Center and from 6 to 10 p.m. at the Patoka Lake beach.
View a special presentation by members of the Louisville and Evansville Astronomical Societies and the Stonebelt Stargazers of Bedford as they share their knowledge of the solar system.
The schedule of special programs is:
• 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m., nature center. Solar bead bracelets. Join the naturalist indoors to make a solar bead bracelet. Beads will be clear inside and will change colors with the sun when outdoors. Cost is $2 per bracelet. Nature center.
• 6 p.m.-sunset, beach, photos with full-size astronaut cutouts (in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing). Everyone is asked to bring their bring their own camera.
• 6 p.m.-sunset, beach, solar observing, safely view the Sun through specially filtered telescopes.
• 7 p.m., beach, “The Wonders of the Cosmos,” a presentation that is both entertaining and educational.
• 8 p.m., beach, “The Night Sky over Patoka,” an interactive tour of the night sky.
• 9-10 p.m. (or later), beach, electronically-assisted astronomy. Special video camera and telescope equipment will be set up to allow stargazing for those who do not have the visual acuity or ability to view through a telescope eyepiece.
• 9-10 p.m. (or later), beach, views of the night sky. Telescopes will be set up for public observations of the sky. Amateur astronomers will share their knowledge of our solar system, our galaxy, and many wondrous things within and distant galaxies.
The entrance fee of $7 per vehicle for Indiana residents is required for the Newton-Stewart State Recreation Area.
For more information regarding this program or other interpretive events, call the visitors center at 812-685-2447.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Dylan Fox of Louisville has earned the highest advancement award the Boy Scouts of America...
Dr. Josh Vollmer, who graduated from Jasper High School in 2012 and Indiana University in 2015...
A graduation celebration was held Saturday evening for Brandon Goeppner at the Mount Pisgah...
Northeast Dubois High School Class of 2020 will be honored during a parade sponsored by the...
Farbest Foods Inc. of Huntingburg has announced its Academic Achievement Scholarship recipients.
Jasper Engines and Transmissions has announced the winners of its annual scholarship program....
Delta Chi Chapter of Kappa, Kappa, Kappa Inc. announces Payton Prechtel is a state scholarship...
Northeast Dubois High School has awarded its winners of the Steven M. Seger memorial...