Vevay now listed on National RegisterDecember 10, 2019
By The Associated Press
VEVAY — A part of a southeastern Indiana town is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Encompassing 275 historic buildings on 100 acres, the Vevay Historic District includes some of Indiana’s finest Greek Revival buildings, according to the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.
Two large brick mansions, the Schenck House and the Grisard House, date to the 1840s. Both stand out for their refined, classically inspired porches and details.
The downtown area of the Ohio River town includes many well-preserved cast iron storefronts. George L. Mesker & Co. in Evansville made most of the storefronts in the 1890s and early 1900s. Other architectural treasures from the 1900s include the town’s original Carnegie library, completed in 1917, which now serves as the town hall.
The listing on the National Register caps a multi-year effort by community activists, local agencies and the DNR’s Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology. Indiana has more than 1,970 listings on the National Register of Historic Places.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
A one-room schoolhouse that educated generations of Dubois County residents has finally come...
A bill that is moving through the Indiana Senate would extend the statute of limitations for...
Indiana Department of Natural Resources Conservation Officer Ryan McIntyre, who is assigned to...
Suspended about 2 feet above the ground, Erin Rauscher of Yes Power Yoga and her students flew...
New this spring, Wilstem will add a female Asian elephant to its wildlife family and partner...
A competitive jazz program launched at Forest Park after kids returned from winter break earlier...
A new gymnasium is on its way to Northeast Dubois High School.
John Tretter is home. And he’s ready for a challenge. Tuesday morning, the Huntingburg man was...