Three Pointers: Three teams one win away from finalsMarch 4, 2020
Here is a preview to Friday's sectional semifinals.
Opponent: vs. South Spencer, 8:00 p.m. Friday
Regular season: South Spencer defeated Southridge, 45-43, Feb. 21
1. Wins were scarce down the stretch for Southridge, but the Raiders will be going into Friday’s sectional semifinal having won its regular season finale, 48-39, Feb. 27 at Boonville, and snapped a season-high five-game skid.
2. That skid almost snapped Feb. 21 against the Rebels, as junior Colson Montgomery, who had a game-high 23 points, tried to nail a game-winning three, but it did not go, and the Raiders had to wait six more days to get in the win column for the first time since Jan. 25.
3. South Spencer beat Forest park, 60-43, Tuesday evening. If Southridge advances, it will face either Tecumseh, whom it beat, 55-39, Jan. 10, or North Posey, whom it defeated, 59-54, Jan. 25 on Saturday night for the sectional championship.
Northeast Dubois Jeeps
Opponent: vs. Vincennes Rivet at Springs Valley, 8:00 p.m. Friday
Regular season: Northeast Dubois won, 57-39 Jan. 24
1. Northeast Dubois was the lone local team to win a sectional game on Tuesday. The Jeeps bested Cannelton, 62-41, and now head back to French Lick on Friday to face a Vincennes Rivet team who drew a bye.
2. Northeast Dubois defeated its Blue Chip Conference foe earlier this year as part of its season-high five game winning streak. The Jeeps lost five in a row after winning five in a row, but have since won three of their last four.
3. The Jeeps are two wins from their first sectional championship since 2014. It would be the fifth under the Terry Friedman era. They would either face an Evansville Day team they beat, 66-51, Jan. 4 or a Wood Memorial team they lost to, 53-52, Feb. 1.
Heritage Hills Patriots
Opponent: vs. Evansville Bosse at Boonville, 7:00 p.m. Friday
Regular season: Heritage Hills won, 82-68 Dec. 10
1. Is this finally the year for Heritage Hills? Each of the past three years have seen the Patriots lose their first sectional game. Last year’s loss at sectionals came against none other than Evansville Bosse, 82-68.
2. Heritage Hills is riding a win streak into this one, just as last year’s team did. Last year’s team had won 19 in a row going into sectional. This team is on a 15-game winning streak.
3. The Pats had a first round bye, meaning a win Friday puts them in Saturday’s sectional championship. They hope to win their first sectional since 2003. They’d either meet a Mount Vernon team that they beat, 101-17, Dec. 21 or Evansville Memorial, whom they beat, 72-28 Jan. 4.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
It takes many hands to make a successful sports program, and teams have to be selective about...
Lacey Oeding began running when she was 2 years old. Until suffering season-ending after...
Success didn’t come overnight for legendary Barr-Reeve baseball coach Randy “Joe”...
The COVID-19 pandemic putting everything on hold forced some people to wait a bit longer for...
Dean Vonderheide, a 1971 graduate of Jasper High School and mayor of the city since 2018, has...
Susie Mehringer didn’t play sports at Jasper, but they’ve always been a big part of her life...
Injuries, unfortunately, are part of playing sports. For the Southridge girls basketball team in...