Three Pointers: Jeeps, Pats hope for regional titlesMarch 11, 2020
Here’s a look ahead to this Saturday’s regional tournament.
Northeast Dubois Jeeps
Opponent: vs. Christian Academy, 12:00 p.m. Saturday at Loogootee
1. Northeast Dubois finds itself in the regional round for the first time since 2014. The Jeeps won their fifth sectional championship under coach Terry Friedman on March 7 with a 55-51 wins against Evansville Day at Springs Valley.
2. The Jeeps hope to make even more history, as it’s been a while since they’ve gotten past this point. Northeast Dubois has not won a regional championship since the 1999-2000 season. The Jeeps did win their first regional game six years ago, 55-53, against Lanesville.
3. A win against Christian Academy will either pit the Jeeps against either a Crothersville team they have not previously seen this season, or against Blue Chip Conference rival Barr-Reeve, whom they lost to, 52-44, Feb. 8. They’d play in the championship at 7:30 p.m.
Heritage Hills Patriots
Opponent: vs. Silver Creek, 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Washington
Regular season: Silver Creek won, 82-78, Dec. 28 in overtime
1. Class 3A-No. 1 Silver Creek and No. 2 Heritage Hills are already squaring off in the regional round, and only one can advance to Saturday’s championship. The Patriots would face either No. 3 Greensburg, or host Washington.
2. The Pats have already made history as it is, winning their first sectional championship since 2003 after years of shortcomings and frustrations, but they can also win their first-ever regional championship on Saturday.
3. “You can just tell that, winning the sectional, that these kids are motivated to do more,” Heritage Hills coach Nate Hawkins said. “That’s the neat thing about this group is they’re motivated. They want to continue to win. They want to play as long as they possibly can this season and see where it ends up at.”
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
All spring sports were wiped away before they ever got off the ground.
Many area freshman grew up with the dream to one day play sports at the varsity level. That day...
To call these uncertain times is one of the great understatements of our lifetime.
Uncertainty is at an all-time high as players and coaches alike try to stay prepared for a...
Right now the tennis courts at Jasper High School sit empty.
Northeast Dubois girls tennis coach Tina Terwiske is worried about her players.
Heritage Hills should be ready to go as long as it gets those five practices in, weather permitting.
Both coaches for the Heritage Hills track and field program choose to be optimistic about the...