Three Pointers: Jeeps, Pats hope for regional titlesMarch 11, 2020
Here’s a look ahead to this Saturday’s regional tournament.
Northeast Dubois Jeeps
Opponent: vs. Christian Academy, 12:00 p.m. Saturday at Loogootee
1. Northeast Dubois finds itself in the regional round for the first time since 2014. The Jeeps won their fifth sectional championship under coach Terry Friedman on March 7 with a 55-51 wins against Evansville Day at Springs Valley.
2. The Jeeps hope to make even more history, as it’s been a while since they’ve gotten past this point. Northeast Dubois has not won a regional championship since the 1999-2000 season. The Jeeps did win their first regional game six years ago, 55-53, against Lanesville.
3. A win against Christian Academy will either pit the Jeeps against either a Crothersville team they have not previously seen this season, or against Blue Chip Conference rival Barr-Reeve, whom they lost to, 52-44, Feb. 8. They’d play in the championship at 7:30 p.m.
Heritage Hills Patriots
Opponent: vs. Silver Creek, 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Washington
Regular season: Silver Creek won, 82-78, Dec. 28 in overtime
1. Class 3A-No. 1 Silver Creek and No. 2 Heritage Hills are already squaring off in the regional round, and only one can advance to Saturday’s championship. The Patriots would face either No. 3 Greensburg, or host Washington.
2. The Pats have already made history as it is, winning their first sectional championship since 2003 after years of shortcomings and frustrations, but they can also win their first-ever regional championship on Saturday.
3. “You can just tell that, winning the sectional, that these kids are motivated to do more,” Heritage Hills coach Nate Hawkins said. “That’s the neat thing about this group is they’re motivated. They want to continue to win. They want to play as long as they possibly can this season and see where it ends up at.”
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Kaisi Seger (née Nixon) grew up being around the tradition that is Jasper volleyball. The...
With Alvin C. Ruxer Memorial Golf Course closing, local golfers and youth golf advocates...
Jeff Cook couldn’t have imagined when he was an underclassman at Birdseye that he would go on...
The All-American Girls Professional Baseball League — yes, if you've seen "A League of Their...
It really bothered Mary Lou Luebbehusen that she couldn’t play sports when she went to school....
Steve Braun has big plans for Sultan's Run Golf Course. His vision has been in the works for...
Sam Scott of Heritage Hills has chosen to wrestle at the collegiate level, signing his letter of...
Jasper Golf Director John Bertges has announced he is leaving the position, with his last day at...