Three Pointers: Jasper to hold Senior Night FridayFebruary 12, 2020
Here is a look ahead to the games ahead this week.
Opponent: vs. Castle, 8:00 p.m. Friday
Series: Castle leads, 5-0
Last season: Did not play. Last played March 2, 2018 in sectional tournament. Castle won, 64-47.
1. Heading into the 2019-20 season, Castle is one of the small list of teams Jasper has played multiple games against and has never beaten. The Wildcats are 0-5 all time against the Knights. The only team they have more losses against without a win is East Chicago Washington, whom they are 0-7 against.
2. The Wildcats will be having Senior Night on Friday. They will honor Carter Stamm, Jackson Kabrick, Elliott Hopf, Quentin Harmon and Reece Day. Although, in a way, Tuesday’s 61-48 win against Evansville Mater Dei was Senior Night as well. Kabrick and Harmon combined for 47 of Jasper’s 61 points. Kabrick scored 30, while Harmon had 17.
3. Three games will remain on the docket for Jasper after Friday’s home finale. The Wildcats will be back at it Tuesday at Big Eight Conference rival Princeton. This is their Big Eight Conference finale. Jasper is 3-1 in Big Eight Conference play. However, so are the Tigers. Jasper has not played a conference game a 44-43 win Jan. 17 against Washington.
Forest Park at Heritage Hills
Records: Forest Park 12-7, 3-2; Heritage Hills 15-3, 6-0
Last season: Heritage Hills won, 69-55
1. Forest Park would like to think Tuesday’s 65-52 is the start of getting back on the right track. The Rangers had lost six out of eight before that. They’ll get a test on the road Friday against a Patriots team they have not beaten since Feb. 12, 2016. Nate Hawkins is 3-0 as coach of the Pats against his alma mater and team he used to coach.
2. Records and milestones keep happening at Heritage Hills to the point that special basketballs are being assembled to honor them. Murray Becher broke Roger Kaiser’s North Spencer scoring record Feb. 6 against Boonville. Kaiser is scheduled to return Indiana to present Becher the ball. Simon Scherry, who got a ball for breaking the career assists record, also scored his 1,000th point Feb. 8 against Jasper at Cabby O’Neill Gymnasium. He’s scheduled to receive another ball Tuesday against Evansville North.
3. Forest Park has three games left on the season after Friday, Heritage Hills has four. The Rangers have two PAC games left, while the Pats have one. Forest Park could finish with the same conference record as Heritage Hills if it takes care of business on Friday, Feb. 22 against Pike Central and Feb. 25 against Gibson Southern and if Heritage Hills loses Feb. 21 at Tell City.
Opponent: vs. Perry Central, 8:00 p.m. Friday
Last season: Perry Central won, 60-53
1. The last 10 games have been everything or nothing for Northeast Dubois. The Jeeps won five in a row from Jan. 11-25, but have suddenly lost from Jan. 31 until Tuesday at North Daviess. None of their losses were double-digit losses. They haven’t lost by double figures since a 65-55 defeat Dec. 28 against Forest Park.
2. However, they have lost some really close ones. The three games they lost from Jan. 31-Feb. 6 were by a combined seven points, including a one-point loss Feb. 1 at Wood Memorial. They also fell by two Feb. 6 at North Knox. The Jeeps have yet to win this month, and have only three more chances to correct that in the regular season.
3. Friday will be Homecoming at Northeast Dubois with a chance to break the skid on that occasion. The Jeeps are trying to avoid their second consecutive season with a losing record, which is still very well possible. It is worth noting, however, that last year’s team didn’t win more than two straight games. This team began the season 4-0 and also the five-game win streak in January.
Record: 8-12, 3-3
Opponent: vs. Tell City, 8:00 p.m. Saturday
Last season: Southridge won, 51-43
1. Southridge has seen a slide itself recently. The Raiders have lost six out of their last games. The lone win came Jan. 25 at North Posey, 59-54. They are 3-3 in the PAC this season. One conference game remains after Saturday and that’s Feb. 21 against South Spencer. Two games overall are left in the regular season.
2. Junior Colson Montgomery had been dealing with a sprained ankle in recent games. He most recently played against the Vikings, scoring 15 points. The Raiders still nearly beat the Rangers without him. Southridge coach Mark Rohrer said in a text to Herald on Wednesday that Montgomery should be playing on Saturday.
3. Southridge has often turned to senior Garrett Voegerl this season as the go-to scorer after Montgomery. Voegerl has stepped up even without Montgomery’s presence. It was he who led the Raiders with 18 points against North Posey. Voegerl followed that up with a game-high 19 points in the Forest Park loss and team-high 17 in a 69-40 loss Feb. 8 against Jeffersonville.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
The good times keep on rolling on the tennis court for Northeast Dubois.
The Dubois County Herald is here to fill you in from all of the weekend action.
This week is the regional at Country Oaks Golf Course, and many locals will be featured.
Jasper golf coach Jan Tellstrom is a believer in progress, and the Wildcats showed progress on...
Here's a roundup of the other games featuring local teams on Friday.
Camden Gasser scored six touchdowns on Friday to help Southridge best Gibson Southern, 48-28.
The Southern Indiana Athletic Conference has announced its All-SIAC girls golf team for 2020,...
Southridge returned to the win column Thursday night, sweeping county rival Forest Park