Three Pointers: Jasper Boys return to SIAC FridayDecember 8, 2020
Here’s a look at some upcoming games involving our local teams.
Opponent: at Evansville Memorial, 8:00 p.m. Friday
Series: Jasper leads, 47-24
Last Meeting: Jasper triumphed, 71-45, Dec. 13, 2019
1. Jasper’s boys are off to their first 0-2 start since the 2016-17 season, in which that team recovered to go 17-7. The Wildcats, however, weren’t that far off from winning both of their games on Dec. 4 at Linton-Stockton and Dec. 5 at home against Loogootee.
2. The Wildcats could have won against the Miners had they made some more timely free throws in the fourth quarter, and while Loogootee pulled off a wire-to-wire win against Jasper, the Wildcats took an early 16-point deficit and trimmed it down to three multiple times.
3. This is Jasper’s first game back in the Southern Indiana Athletic Conference this year after winning the final Big Eight Conference Championship last year. The Wildcats went 7-1 in the regular season last year against teams who are now in the SIAC with them.
Opponent: vs. Pike Central, 7:30 p.m. Saturday
Last Meeting: Southridge won, 50-30, Dec. 3, 2019
1. This Saturday will be a couple of firsts for the Raiders. It will be their home opener, the first of nine regular season games scheduled at Huntingburg Memorial Gym this season, and also their first Pocket Athletic Conference game of the 2020-21 campaign.
2. The PAC has expanded this year, but Southridge went a combined 5-6 against current PAC teams last year. The Raiders are set to play Barr-Reeve Friday at the Ford Center before Saturday’s home opener. Barr-Reeve came away with a 60-55 tournament win last year against Southridge.
3. Despite a 70-55 loss Dec. 5 at Evansville Mater Dei, the Raiders managed to share the basketball among different players. Seniors Colson Montgomery and Sam Sermersheim each notched 18 points, while fellow senior Kaleb Wibbeler had 10 and another senior, Camden Gasser, scored eight.
Forest Park vs. Heritage Hills (Girls)
Records: Forest Park 7-0, 3-0, Heritage Hills 4-1, 1-0
Last Meeting: Heritage Hills won, 57-40, Dec. 12, 2019
1. It’s local against local in this Pocket Athletic Conference showdown. Heritage Hills has had Forest Park’s number in recent years. The Rangers last defeated the Patriots, Dec. 10, 2015. The Patriots have won each of the last four meetings.
2. Forest Park is hoping to change all of that, though, as these Rangers have done something that hasn’t been done in a while. The last time a Forest Park team began the season 7-0 was in the 2000-01 campaign, when the Rangers went 23-1 and won a sectional championship.
3. Heritage Hills suffered its first loss of the year Dec. 5 at Evansville Memorial, 71-43, and will look to bounce back in hopes of improving to 2-0 in PAC play. The Pats’ schedule will be dominated by conference opponents, as they only have three non-conference regular season games left.
Record: 1-2, 1-1
Opponent: at Evansville Bosse, Tuesday, 8:00 p.m.
1. This game was originally set to be played Nov. 17, but it got pushed back, as the Wildcats couldn’t field a team at the time due to players being quarantined. Jasper girls were out of action for more than two weeks.
2. The Wildcats enjoyed a bounce back win Dec. 5 at Evansville Central for their first victory back in the Southern Indiana Athletic Conference. They were able to triumph after dropping a 61-25 loss to Castle on Dec. 3.
3. One player who has been a consistent scoring option so far for Jasper is senior Emma Shelton, the only Wildcat to reach double figures in all three of the team’s games. Shelton has led the team in scoring the first three games, averaging 14 points a game.
Northeast Dubois (Boys)
Opponent: vs. Paoli, 7:30 p.m., Friday
Last Year: Northeast Dubois edged Paoli, 52-49
1. The season is finally upon Northeast Dubois, after numerous schedule changes. The Jeeps have been the only local team from the five local schools, boys or girls, that haven’t taken the floor this year, that haven’t taken the floor. That’s set to change against the Rams.
2. This game was originally scheduled for Jan. 15, but it got moved ahead to Friday. The Jeeps were originally set to play Orleans on this date. Jeeps coach and athletic director Terry Friedman said in a Dec. 1 email that no makeup date with the Bulldogs had been scheduled yet.
3. Friday would’ve been Northeast Dubois’ fifth game of the season, as originally scheduled, but when the Jeeps take the floor on Friday, they’ll do so with most of their sectional championship team back from last year. Senior Lane Knies averaged 9.5 points last year to lead all returning players.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
The night belonged to Jack Ahlbrand on Friday.
Looking for morel mushrooms are intriguing.
Throughout the past 24 years, I have learned that life will surprise you — especially when you...
Southridge held off Forest Park, 5-4, on the baseball field Thursday night.
Jasper softball captured another win Thursday.
Southridge girls tennis swept its opponent for the second day in a row on Wednesday.
Jasper softball is now 5-0.
Jasper's Blake Mann is continuing his football career at Franklin College.