Three Pointers: Girls basketball tips off this weekNovember 2, 2020
Here's a look at the games for our local girls basketball teams this week.
Opponent: at Paoli, 7:30 p.m., Saturday
Last season: Southridge def. Paoli, 41-34, Nov. 9, 2019.
1. Southridge was to have opened the season today against Perry Central. However, the game was cancelled on Monday. Therefore, the Raiders will wait until Saturday until the next time they are due to take the court. No makeup date had been scheduled with the Commodores.
2. The Raiders started the 2019-20 season at 7-5, only to finish 2-10 the rest of the way. A big reason was the loss of Myah Montgomery, who endured a season-ending injury Dec. 17 against Heritage Hills. Montgomery is back for the start of her junior year against the Rams.
3. "The coaching one another, and the kids on the floor has been great," Raiders coach Greg Werner said. "They care about each other, so they stand a chance. Because if they don't care about each other, they don't stand a chance — but you got a group of kids that care about each other."
Opponent: vs. Tell City, 7:00 p.m. Thursday
Last season: Forest Park won, 60-35, Nov. 7, 2019
1. Last year certainly brought a lot of good for Forest Park girls basketball — going 18-8 and making it to the sectional championship game. If the Rangers are to see success this year, it will have to be done without the five seniors they graduated a year ago.
2. The Rangers had two All-Pocket Athletic Conference members last year in the graduated Faith Zazzetti and Macie Zink. However, Ali Welp is back for her junior year, and she was an honorable mention. Forest Park has two juniors — Welp and Grace Fleck, and two seniors — Linda Jacob and Emma Gray.
3. The last time Forest Park's girls lost the season opener was the 2004-05 season when Evansville Central bested the Rangers, 59-46, Nov. 12, 2004. Forest Park has opened its season against Tell City every since the 2015-16 campaign, with all but one win coming by double digits.
Opponent: vs. Shoals, Tuesday, 6:30 p.m.
Last season: Northeast Dubois def. Shoals, 55-48.
1. The Jeeps have gone a combined 11-36 since the start of 2018-19, and while they graduated seniors Madison Cave and Haley Reckelhoff, they have some key pieces returning in junior Hadley Fuhrman and sophomores Rhylan Kalb and Reagan Knies.
2. Fuhrman was the leading scorer for Northeast Dubois a year ago by averaging 9.2 points per game. Kalb and Knies both stepped up towards their end of their freshmen year. The former led the team in assists last year, while the latter had the best free throw percentage.
3. This is the first of two games the Jeeps will be having this week, as they'll return to action Thursday at Paoli. The game against the Rams got away from Northeast Dubois last year — as the Jeeps led by nine at one point in the fourth quarter, only to lose, 44-42.
Opponent: vs. Crawford County, 8:00 p.m., Friday
Last season: Crawford County won, 52-49, Nov. 7, 2019
1. Heritage Hills graduated only one person off of last year's team that went 16-7, so almost everybody is back. Coach Kim Brown won her 100th game during the 2019-20 season, and the Patriots will look to build from having almost everybody back.
2. The Pats will be a seasoned team of upperclassmen and five seniors. One of them is Rebekah Gordon, who is committed to play at Auburn University. Gordon and junior Hadley Lytton were named to the All-Pocket Athletic Conference team last year. Senior Avery Neff was an honorable mention.
3. The Pats are hoping that they can break through in a big way this year with all of personnel they are returning. It's been a long time coming for Heritage Hills girls, who last won a sectional championship in 1994, and last won a conference championship in 1996.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Forest Park girls golf is set to have one thing this year that it didn't last year - a team.
Jasper graduate Jared Sermersheim is trying to find balance as he looks to help the Dubois...
Jasper athletic director Brian Lewis has been named the next assistant commissioner of the IHSAA.
The Dubois County Bombers secured a key win over the Henderson Flash on Friday evening.
MaKenize Smith stays focused on her work. Her grit and determination have helped her find...
The Jasper Reds will take their talents to the NABF World Series. The Reds enjoyed a successful...
Host families play a key role for the Dubois County Bombers. Those families were honored on...
Chase Taylor is adapting to the college level after contributing to Southridge's state title.