Three Pointers: Boys Basketball tips off this weekNovember 24, 2020
Some local games have been cancelled and/or postponed this week, but some are still rolling along. Let’s take a look at the ones that are still scheduled, as of press time.
Forest Park (Girls)
Opponent: at Evansville Mater Dei, Tuesday, 7:30 p.m. (Approximate)
1. The Rangers will get their chance at payback against the Wildcats from last year. Forest Park defeated Mater Dei, 54-42, in the regular season. However, the sectional told a different story when the Wildcats denied the Rangers a championship, 56-52, on Feb. 8.
2. The Rangers went a perfect 2-0 last week, first by squeaking out a 56-53 win against defending Pocket Athletic Conference champion Gibson Southern on Tuesday, and enjoying a comfortable margin of victory, 57-30, Thursday at Perry Central.
3. Forest Park has looked to its sophomore class to in recent games. Carley Begle scored 12 points and notched seven rebounds against the Titans. Meanwhile Lydia Betz scored 17 and added seven boards at Perry Central.
Forest Park (Boys)
Opponent: at Crawford County, Wednesday, 7:30 p.m.
Last Year: Forest Park defeated Crawford County, 53-51, Nov. 27, 2019
1. The Rangers finished 15-9 last year, falling to South Spencer in the opening round of the Southridge sectional. Forest Park started off hot at 6-0, then 9-1, but didn’t put together another win streak until winning the last three games of the regular season.
2. Forest Park graduated Isaac Uebelhor last year, and Uebelhor supplied the Rangers a lot of production — leading them in five different categories. However, they sport an experienced returning lineup otherwise.
3. One player who continued to take a bigger step last year was Drew Howard. Howard was an honorable mention on the All-Pocket Athletic Conference squad as a freshman, and made All-PAC last year as a sophomore — leading Forest Park with 80 assists.
Northeast Dubois (Boys)
Opponent: at Pike Central, 7:30 p.m.
Last Year: Northeast Dubois defeated Pike Central, 47-27, Nov. 27, 2019
1. Northeast Dubois will never know how its 2019-20 season might have ended. The Jeeps went 16-10, started 4-1, won five of six at one points and ended the season winning another five out of six — with their last one resulting in their first sectional title since 2014.
2. Many players are back for the Jeeps this season, but they graduated perhaps their two most prominent players in their backcourt of Reece Bauer and Ethan Ziegler. Bauer scored his 1,000th point last year, and became the all-time leading boys scorer in Jeeps history.
3. “We know that we’ve got a strong nucleus returning,” Jeeps coach Terry Friedman said. “We also know that this team is hungry and they’re coming off a really good season last year. So, they’re anxious to prove that.”
Heritage Hills (Boys)
Opponent: vs. North Harrison, 8:00 p.m., Saturday
Last Meeting: Heritage Hills bested North Harrison, 71-43, Nov. 24, 2018
1. Heritage Hills finally broke through in the 2019-20 season — finishing the year on a 17-game win streak and finally winning a sectional championship for the first time since 2003. The Patriots graduated some notable seniors, however.
2. Murray Becher and Simon Scherry were both part of the 1,000 point club. Becher became the school’s all-time leading scorer, and Scherry set a career team record in assists. However, big man Blake Sisley is back for his senior year.
3. “From a leadership, this is Blake’s year, and we need that out of him,” Pats coach Nate Hawkins said. “And I think when we started practice, I think he wasn’t quite, but he’s grown in that area (during the first week of practice), and now he’s been very encouraging.”
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Jasper tied the game late Saturday night against Washington, but the Hatchets used free throws...
Southridge reeled off a wire-to-wire 56-39 win against Henryville on Saturday.
Winter is a wonderful time for a float trip.
When Mikah Goeppner takes the court inside Memorial Gym, her childhood memories manifest into...
What started off as a close game turned out to be anything but when Forest Park dropped a 78-51...
Northeast Dubois fell shy of victory on Friday in a 50-47 loss to Paoli.
Jasper honored its 17 seniors for senior night in the pool on Thursday, and the Wildcats made an...
The last time Cameron Banks played in a Heritage Hills varsity basketball game was on Dec. 7,...