Three Pointers: A look to upcoming local gamesDecember 22, 2020
Here is a look at some upcoming games involving our teams.
Opponent: vs. Paoli, Dec. 29, North Daviess Old National Bank Tournament
Last Meeting: Paoli defeated Southridge, 48-44, Jan. 21, 2017
1. Southridge has its athletic events postponed through Dec. 28, but that is set to change Dec. 29 when the Raiders take part in the North Daviess Tournament against the Rams on the first day. South Knox, Rushville, Rock Creek Academy and Brownstown Central are set to join the Raiders, Rams and host North Daviess. The tournament is set to run through Jan. 2.
2. The Raiders last played Dec. 12 against Pocket Athletic Conference rival Pike Central, coming away with a 49-38 win. The Raiders did not have Colson Montgomery on hand for the win, but they did have fellow senior Sam Sermersheim, who broke out to the tune of 24 points. Junior Carter Whitehead joined him with 14.
3. Southridge is scheduled to spend a lot of time in Dubois County in the month of January. The Raiders have five home games on tap at Huntingburg Memorial Gym, and two of their four road games are Jan. 12 at Jasper and Jan. 29 at Forest Park. The Raiders are set to play Northeast Dubois Jan. 9 at home, and Jan. 22 against Heritage Hills at home.
Forest Park (Boys)
Opponent: vs. Evansville Harrison, Tri Plastics Inc./Schatz Insurance Forest Park Holiday Hoops Classic, Dec. 29, 10 a.m.
Last Meeting: Forest Park defeated Evansville Harrison, 54-51, Dec. 30, 2000
1. It’s almost 20 years to the day since the last time Forest Park played Evansville Harrison, and a lot has changed in between. Not only were none of the current Rangers not alive the last time these two schools squared off, Rangers coach David Welp himself wasn’t even in high school yet.
2. The Rangers have had almost the entire month of December off, with a Dec. 11 game at Loogootee and a Dec. 19 game against Northeast Dubois being postponed. This is their first scheduled game since their 72-47 win Dec. 4 at Pike Central.
3. It may have been a few weeks since Forest Park once played, but one thing the Rangers might want to continue was how they shared the basketball against the Chargers. Forest Park had 10 different players score against Pike Central, with the 20 points from Drew Howard, 14 from senior Blake Hagedorn and 13 from another senior, Wade Leonard, leading the way.
Northeast Dubois (Boys)
Opponent: at Shoals, Tuesday, 5 p.m.
Last Meeting: Northeast Dubois bested Shoals, 56-41, Dec. 7, 2019
1. It’s been a long time since Northeast Dubois last started 0-3. In fact, it has never happened since Terry Friedman took over the team during the 2006-07 season — until now. The Jeeps have lost their first three games to start the season since the 2005-06 campaign, when Ryan Case was at the helm.
2. The Jeeps couldn’t get much going against Class 1A powerhouse and Blue Chip Conference rival Barr-Reeve on Dec. 17, but they’ve lost been 12 points each in their other two losses — Dec. 12 against North Daviess, and Dec. 19 at Rock Creek Academy.
3. A couple of players who have brought the scoring so far for Northeast Dubois include senior Logan Mehringer and junior Colby Pieper. Mehringer is averaging eight points a game, and has reached double figures in two of the team’s first three games. Meanwhile, Pieper is averaging 9.3 points per game to this point of the season.
Northeast Dubois (Girls)
Opponent: vs. North Posey, Tuesday, 1 p.m.
1. Like many other teams, the Northeast Dubois girls have had some down time — seeing postponements and not always being able to play this season. However, the Jeeps have won six of their first nine games in their quest to complete their first winning season since nabbing a sectional championship in the 2017-18 campaign.
2. This will be the first game the Jeeps have had in a week, as they were supposed to play Dec. 17 at Jasper, but that game got postponed. Northeast Dubois has begun the month of December on a 3-0 record, and has a chance to reach its first four-game win streak of the year today following Monday’s 69-29 win at Washington Catholic.
3. The Jeeps have shown that they can have balanced scoring this season. Junior Hadley Fuhrman took a big step forward as a sophomore, and she’s carried the load at times in the score sheet this year. Senior Jazlyn Sander, fellow junior Brinley Royer and sophomores Reagan Knies and Rhylan Kalb have also had a double digit scoring performance this year.
Heritage Hills (Girls)
Opponent: at Silver Creek, Tuesday, 2:30 p.m.
1. Heritage Hills is aiming for its fifth win in a row today at Silver Creek, and it would be the first time since beginning the 2018-19 season 6-0 that the team put together a five-game win streak. The Patriots had a pair of games last season where they won four in a row.
2. Two people who brought it for the Pats last week were senior Rebekah Gordon and junior Hadley Lytton, who helped them win all three of their games. Gordon averaged 21.3 points per game during these three games, while Lytton averaged 15.6 points. They’ll look to keep it going today against a 10-0 Silver Creek team.
3. “Win or lose, they always say you got to play the best to be the best,” Pats coach Kim Brown said. “So, it’s a learning experience. We said the same thing when we picked up (Evansville) Memorial on our schedule. Memorial’s a great team, Silver Creek’s a great team. We want to be a great team. So, we’re going to do whatever we have to do and fight, claw, no matter what that score ends up being.”
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Austin Gossmann got in uniform for the Jasper Reds this season, but never played, and now he's a...
The Dubois County Bombers reeled off a 16-6 win on Sunday for the team's fifth in a row.
The Jasper Reds came away with a doubleheader sweep on Sunday.
The Dubois County Bombers honored the 2015 Ohio Valley League Champions before Saturday Night's...
Jasper steamrolled its way to a semi-state championship Saturday at Ruxer Field.
Southridge is state-bound following Saturday's 4-2 semi-state win against Brebeuf Jesuit.
Senior Caleb Burger exudes a love and a passion for Jasper athletics.
In a lineup loaded with seniors, freshman Hudson Allen is making his own impact for Southridge...