Sunday morning fire destroys Jasper outbuildingsJuly 14, 2014
By BILL POWELL
Herald Staff Writer
JASPER — Multiple property owners were victims of fire and heat damage when a woman’s detached garage caught fire early Sunday morning.
Units of the Jasper Volunteer Fire Department were called to the Connie Thewes property at 1339 Jackson St. at 4:39 p.m., according to Fire Chief Kenny Hochgesang.
Hochgesang said a fire that appeared to have started in the southeast corner of Thewes’ garage destroyed the structure and the moped, grills and lawn mowers inside it. The fire also spread to a shed behind it on the 1337 Jackson St. property of Steve Wampler.
The blaze destroyed Wampler’s shed and the all-terrain vehicle and lawn and garden equipment inside it. Heat from the fire also damaged the siding on the back of Wampler’s house.
Additionally, Hochgesang said, there was heat and fire damage to garage siding and a fence at the 1336 Main St. property owned by Holly Smith.
Heat also broke out windows at a 107 E. 14th St. apartment building owned by Bernard Kress and fire destroyed a City of Jasper utility pole, creating a localized power outage in the process.
The exact cause of the fire in Thewes’ garage could not be determined because of the extent of the damage.
Four trucks and 28 firefighters were on the scene for an hour.
The Jasper Police Department, Memorial Hospital Emergency Medical Services and a Jasper Municipal Utilities crew assisted.
There were no injuries.
Contact Bill Powell at email@example.com.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Edwin Drake was in high school when World War II began. A few years later, he was in Nagasaki...
German American announced Wednesday that Matt Eckert, president and CEO at Holiday World &...
An investigation into an alleged sex crime launched during the summer resulted in an arrest...
Many organizations in the area help others enjoy the holidays or need help with fundraising and...
Experts say Indiana might have a mild and dry winter, at least initially. Unless you listen to...
The superintendents of each of Dubois County’s four school corporations sent a letter to...
John Bolton was once stationed on a naval ship that helped cut and explode 102 mines from the...
Paint brushes met canvas as a host of middle school and high school students created brightly...