Some pot possession will no longer be prosecutedSeptember 30, 2019
By The Associated Press
INDIANAPOLIS — The prosecutor for Indianapolis is going to stop pressing criminal charges against adults for possessing about one ounce or less of marijuana.
Acting Marion County Prosecutor Ryan Mears announced the new policy Monday, saying the office will focus on prosecuting violent crimes. He says the one-ounce level distinguishes between users and dealers, whom the office will continue prosecuting.
Mears says the office has dismissed about 80 percent of marijuana possession charges so far this year. Mears became acting prosecutor last week with Prosecutor Terry Curry'sresignation.
A Democratic Party caucus Saturday will select Curry's replacement. Tim Moriarty, a top aide to Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett, is challenging Mears.
Moriarty says he supports the marijuana policy change but that more drug abuse and mental health treatment is also needed.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
At a national level, Builders Club aims to engage students ages 11 to 14 in service and...
While Christmas tree farms close across the state, the Scherles are pushing ahead.
The owners of Linda’s Nails have a lot of experience in the nail business.
Nestled in a dimly lit, cozy room on the second floor of the J. Herman building in Ferdinand,...
Eugene DeMotte is glad he served 20 years in the U.S. Army. But it wasn’t easy. There was a...
The St. Henry Volunteer Fire Department will begin a new chapter in 2020 after the installation...
A photo essay featuring four local baptisms documented by Herald photojournalists.
Tourists clamored to first see the trickle of oil in the tranquil water of Pearl Harbor, and...