Smoldering fire damages home’s upstairsOctober 15, 2019
From Local Sources
JASPER — Damage to a home’s upstairs bedroom area Sunday was estimated at $30,000 after an electrical light fixture shorted in the ceiling.
Units of the Jasper Volunteer Fire Department were called to the report of attic smoke at the Robert E. Tinkle residence at 820 Second Ave. at 3:19 p.m.
Occupants had smelled something getting hot before ultimately calling authorities after having trouble tracking down the problem.
Fire Chief Kenny Hochgesang said firefighters found smoldering insulation upon arrival. The department used water extinguishers to put the fire out and then pulled down an upstairs ceiling in a search for hot spots.
“We kept finding hot spots as we were pulling it down,” Hochgesang said.
Nothing else was damaged, Hochgesang said, so the occupants were able to remain in the home after closing off the bedroom.
Five trucks and 28 firefighters were on the scene for 50 minutes.
Minutes before the Second Avenue run, firefighters had briefly responded to an alarm activation in an ambulance bay at Memorial Hospital and Health Care Center, 800 W. Ninth St.
That low-water alarm was an issue turned over to hospital maintenance to correct, according to Hochgesang.
Two trucks and 23 firefighters were on the scene for 10 minutes.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
This weekend, Jasper cheerleading teams will compete in the biggest cheerleading contest.
It was early afternoon on a Friday, and Southridge Middle School teacher Tiffany Neuhoff was...
School had ended for the day, but sounds of creation still echoed through the halls of Holy...
The City of Huntingburg is trying to do something with a former gas station on U.S. 231 that has...
Expanding and updating justice system facilities, and renovating the courthouse were discussed...
The Herald photography staff earned 16 awards this weekend at the Indiana News Photographers...
Mike Webster of Evansville has announced his candidacy for the U.S. House of Representatives in...
Brenda Wilmes firmly pressed her knuckles into Sue Hasenour’s neck and rotated them in tiny...