Smoldering fire damages home’s upstairsOctober 15, 2019
From Local Sources
JASPER — Damage to a home’s upstairs bedroom area Sunday was estimated at $30,000 after an electrical light fixture shorted in the ceiling.
Units of the Jasper Volunteer Fire Department were called to the report of attic smoke at the Robert E. Tinkle residence at 820 Second Ave. at 3:19 p.m.
Occupants had smelled something getting hot before ultimately calling authorities after having trouble tracking down the problem.
Fire Chief Kenny Hochgesang said firefighters found smoldering insulation upon arrival. The department used water extinguishers to put the fire out and then pulled down an upstairs ceiling in a search for hot spots.
“We kept finding hot spots as we were pulling it down,” Hochgesang said.
Nothing else was damaged, Hochgesang said, so the occupants were able to remain in the home after closing off the bedroom.
Five trucks and 28 firefighters were on the scene for 50 minutes.
Minutes before the Second Avenue run, firefighters had briefly responded to an alarm activation in an ambulance bay at Memorial Hospital and Health Care Center, 800 W. Ninth St.
That low-water alarm was an issue turned over to hospital maintenance to correct, according to Hochgesang.
Two trucks and 23 firefighters were on the scene for 10 minutes.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
A photo essay exploring diversity among Generation Z in Dubois and surrounding counties.
In the last 50 years, what began as a part-time gig for Thermwood CEO Ken Susnjara while he...
The double-nickel age is just days away. Fifty-five. That’s old.
Next weekend, Actors Community Theatre will bring "These Shining Lives" to life.
Wade Pierce believes there’s a beer out there for everybody. Perhaps you haven’t found your...
This weekend marks the third weekend of November, and in Ferdinand that means the Olde World is...
This is your chance to say you knew them before they were famous. Their journey started at Dance...
This semester, 28 students are enrolled in the Career Advancement Partnership program at...