Sisters of St. Benedict elect 14th prioressJune 6, 2019
From Local Sources
FERDINAND — The Sisters of St. Benedict of Ferdinand have elected Sister Anita Louise Lowe as their 14th prioress.
Elected on Saturday, she will begin a six-year term of office with a formal installation ceremony at Monastery Immaculate Conception on Saturday, July 13. She succeeds Sister Barbara Lynn Schmitz, who has served as prioress since 2013.
A native of Louisville, Kentucky, Sr. Anita Louise, 54, entered the monastery in 1987 from St. Lawrence Parish. She made her first profession of vows in 1989 and her perpetual profession in 1995.
She has been the director of liturgy in Ferdinand for 11 years. Previously, she was an English and French teacher, assistant director of communications, public relations manager, assistant director of vocations and a director of vocations.
Sr. Anita Louise is a graduate of Brescia College in Owensboro, Kentucky. She earned a bachelor’s degree in English, and a French minor with a secondary education certificate before going on to receive a master’s in theology with a concentration in liturgical studies from the University of Notre Dame.
Sr. Anita Louise is the daughter of the late David and Mildred (Geywitz) Lowe. She has two late sisters, Jane Lowe and Jean Lowe, and her sister Teresa (Lowe) Buehler, is married to Greg Buehler. All reside in Louisville.
The prioress is the religious community’s spiritual leader, chief administrator and official representative to the church and civic community. The election of the prioress came at the end of a discernment process that started last summer, and has included general direction setting by the community.
The discernment process involves prayerful sharing and listening and openness to the guidance of the Holy Spirit. As prioress, Sr. Anita Louise will lead the religious community as members live out the mission statement:
“We, the Sisters of St. Benedict of Ferdinand, Indiana, are monastic women seeking God through the Benedictine tradition of community life, prayer, hospitality, and service to others. By our life and work, we commit ourselves to be a presence of peace as we join our sisters and brothers in the common search for God.”
During the last six years as prioress, Sr. Barbara Lynn led the religious community through significant change and accomplishment. Over this period, the Ferdinand Benedictines:
• Developed Benet Hall apartments — 15 two-bedroom units for seniors age 55 and over — meeting a community need and utilizing available campus infrastructure.
• Brought new life to the former art studio in partnership with local brewmasters. St. Benedict’s Brew Works has proven to be a fun attraction to bring new people to the campus.
• Enhanced natural spaces by installing new pathways into the beautiful grotto and Stations of the Cross so all can pray outside and enjoy nature.
• Deconstructed Madonna Hall, opening up the vista to the historic, circa 1880 structures, making the buildings more accessible to those with mobility challenges, remedying significant environmental concerns; creating open space; and increasing accessibility for all sisters and visitors.
• Renovated a section of the historic quadrangle to serve as the Benedictine Hospitality Center, where the sisters welcome visitors from all walks of life with 21st century amenities.
• Leased 9 acres of land to Trilogy Health Services to construct a new 88-bed care center.
• Remedied threats to the monastery’s historic, circa 1880 structures, installed more efficient infrastructure and positioned them for another 100-plus years of use.
The Sisters of St. Benedict of Ferdinand are 138 religious women who minister in schools, parishes, church institutions, health care facilities, retreat centers and social service agencies in Indiana, Kentucky and Peru. Founded in 1867, the Ferdinand Benedictines are one of the largest Benedictine communities of women in the U.S.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
With Halloween quickly approaching here is a list of Halloween events and local trick-or-treat...
That old building, the one that sits at the only stoplight in Ireland, has become Bret...
The Dubois County Community Foundation has committed $150,000 to the Tri-County YMCA’s expansion.
When Jerry Hunefeld joined the Dubois County Council in 1974, he had no idea what the job...
This year is the Dubois County Park’s 50th anniversary — five decades of providing a...
Holland, Ferdinand and Lincoln Trail elementaries were all named a 2019 National Blue Ribbon School.
The Southridge Marching Raider Band’s color guard program has been a highlight of the group...
Ferdinand’s 18th Street Park will once again transform into a medieval land this weekend for...