Schnellville firefighters tackle grain dryer fire

From Local Sources

BIRDSEYE — Units of the Schnellville Volunteer Fire Department responded late Thursday afternoon to the report of a grain bin fire northwest of Birdseye.

Fire Chief Mark Fischer said a grain batch dryer at the Greg Hoffman farm at 3114 S. 1025E, misfired and overheated, which resulted in a 5:42 p.m. call to the department when some grain and dust inside the dryer ignited.

Hoffman shut down the gas supply and turned off the dryer, which resulted in the flames going out.

Fischer said the fire department assisted by removing the grain from the dryer and clearing a small amount of charred grain.

There was no damage.

Three trucks and 16 firefighters were on the scene 30 minutes.




More on DuboisCountyHerald.com