Rangers lose match, goalie against Evansville North

Photos by Travis David/The Herald
Forest Park keeper Dylan Weyer tries to track down a shot in the second half Saturday against Evansville North.


EVANSVILLE — The Forest Park boys’ soccer team has seen better days.

After playing Evansville Central to a scoreless draw early Saturday morning in the Evansville North Invitational, the Rangers experienced a rough second match against the host Huskies.

Trailing 1-0 midway through the first half, Forest Park keeper Zach Wahl stoned a shot, to his left.

The Huskies fired off another shot on the rebound and Wahl was up to the task with a diving save to his right. But the rebound save, proved to be a costly one.

Wahl crashed head first into the side post of the goal and was removed from the game. The Rangers starting keeper left the field in an ambulance and was later diagnosed with a mild concussion.

The Huskies went on to score eight more goals in the match, including six in the second half, for a 9-1 win.

“We came out a little flat against Central, which is kind of expected for an early morning game, and then in the second game when we lost Evan I was a little afraid we would be shaken up after witnessing something like that,” Forest Park coach Mike Forester said. “But although the game got kind of ugly there in the second half, I thought the team responded well.

“Right now our only thoughts are with Zach.”

After the Huskies scored the first four goals of the second half, Zach Hopf scored the only goal of the day for the Rangers.

Hopf found the back of the net from 35 yards out in the 25 minute as the boot beat the keeper high.

Zach Hopf boots a ball upfield Saturday. Hopf scored the only goal of the day for Forest Park. 

Freshman Jake Dooley assisted on the goal.

Forest Park had two scoring chances early in the second half but could not connect.

Evan Tretter centered up a pass from 12 yards and was stoned by the North keeper in the 4 minute of the half and a minute later, J.D. Kerber beat the keeper left only to see the ball hit the post.

North then went on a scoring frenzy to put the game away.

Forester mentioned, his team still needs to improve on connecting with passes up the field.

“I thought we moved the ball well, but we are still struggling some with advancing the ball from the midfield to our forwards,” the Rangers coach stated. “We need to do a better job of finding the feet of our forwards. I think if we can get that figured out here in the next week, we have every other part of the game covered.”

Forest Park returns to the pitch 6:30 p.m. Tuesday when they travel to Pocket Athletic Conference foe Tell City.


More on DuboisCountyHerald.com