Rain washes out baseball at League Stadium

Photo by Traci Westcott/The Herald
Southridge head coach Gene Mattingly brushes dry dirt around third base to try and combat the rain during Wednesday's baseball game against Tecumseh at League Stadium in Huntingburg. Southridge was up 2-0 when the game was postponed due to weather in the bottom of the third.



Baseball at League Stadium was cut short for the second time in as many weeks as Wednesday night’s game featuring the Southridge Raiders and Tecumseh Braves was postponed in the bottom of the third inning due to thunder and rain.

While disappointed that the team wasn’t able to get in the five innings necessary for the game to count, Raider head coach Gene Mattingly thought his players came out with the perfect level of intensity and loved the way they played through the game’s three innings.

“That was probably our best energy of the year,” he said. “That’s a really good pitcher (Tecumseh senior starter Spencer Buse) that’s on the mound right there, and we did a really good job playing baseball. Got pressure on him, played a little small ball, got a sac-fly to score early. The guys had a lot more energy today, we were pretty pleased with it.”

Southridge only allowed a lead-off walk before clearing the next three batters to hold Tecumseh in the top of the first. When it was their turn to hit, senior center fielder Tucker Schank clipped one from Buse to take first base. Schank would then advance to second and stole third base with a bit of help thanks to a throwing error from the mound to second base. Junior third baseman Camden Gasser then lifted a popup which was caught in center field, but it cleared enough distance to give Schank a clear path to score the Raiders’ first run.

Southridge would strike once more in the bottom of the second inning. With the bases loaded, Schank hit a line drive which was caught at first base, but as senior Wooddy Brucken turned to try for a double play he missed his mark at second base, which cleared a window for senior right fielder Joe LaGrange to come in from third and put the Raiders up 2-0.

But that would be it for the evening’s significant action. A rumble of thunder passed through the sky in the bottom of the third inning, which prompted the umpires to clear the field and postpone the game. No makeup date was announced.

Mattingly said they tried to move the game up to see if they could sneak it in before the weather caught up to them, but that effort proved challenging with the schools being located in two different time zones.

“We tried to move it up as much as we could,” he said. “We could have moved this thing to 5 o'clock, but that’s 4 o’clock their time and they can’t get here in time — but that’s southern Indiana.”

More on DuboisCountyHerald.com