Prosecution calls witnesses in murder trial



JASPER — Jurors in the case surrounding the killing of 23-year-old Chloie E. Lubbehusen saw photos of her wounds and heard testimony from medical professionals, crime scene investigators and a neighboring relative involved in the Jan. 11 incident near St. Anthony during a second day of testimony Wednesday.

Lubbehusen was found naked, stabbed and bleeding on the porch of a residence in the 5800 block of County Road 650E. She later succumbed to her wounds at Memorial Hospital and Health Care Center.

Kyle D. Schneider, 27, 2010 Lincoln Drive, Huntingburg, is on trial for murder. He was located, naked except for a pair of socks, hiding in a garage at the scene on the morning of the incident.

The voices of Tikelan and Ashley Kilburn are heard on the recording of the 911 call reporting the incident at 8:26 a.m. that cold January day. They lived in a farmhouse across the gravel drive from the mobile home where they found Lubbehusen on the porch.

Tikelan Kilburn was the first of seven prosecution witnesses called to the stand Wednesday.

Under questioning by Prosecutor Anthony Quinn, the 35-year-old Tikelan explained he served 15 years in the U.S. Army before being honorably discharged with a 100% service-connected disability — a form of epilepsy related to the detonation of explosive devices.

He referred to Lubbehusen as his cousin and probably his best friend outside of his marriage. She was also his wife’s best friend, he said.

When he noticed a light on at Lubbehusen’s residence around midnight before what would be the morning of her death, he briefly visited. Schneider was also there but Tikelan indicated he did not notice anything out of the ordinary.

Hours later, he and his wife were summoning help for Lubbehusen and he was trying to comfort his wounded cousin, telling her it was going to be alright.

Tikelan moved Lubbehusen from the porch to just inside the front door of the residence. His wife was on the phone with county dispatch but he eventually took the phone and talked with dispatch while he was attempting to clear the house.

While going through the house, he testified, he observed a lock-blade knife on the floor of the living room between a love seat and a table. He noticed blood on the kitchen floor and on Lubbehusen’s bed and saw a mirror broken in the bedroom.

In response to Quinn’s questioning about dispatchers seeking the full name of Lubbehusen’s boyfriend, Tikelan said he saw a wallet on a table. In addition to viewing Schneider’s driver’s license and giving the name to dispatch, Tikelan admitted to removing two $100 bills from the wallet.

Later, when Schneider was in custody and being led from a pole barn garage, Tikelan admitted he probably made the threatening statements he was reported to have directed toward the suspect.

He and Ashley later turned over the clothing they were wearing to authorities and gave several statements to investigators.

The Kilburns have since moved from the neighborhood. Tikelan testified he did not want his children to have to walk by the scene of the crime on their way to the school bus.

“I don’t want them to think about that every single morning because I know I do,” he said.

Other prosecution witnesses taking the stand Wednesday were Memorial Hospital and Health Care Center’s Nurse Practitioner Debra White, Registered Nurse Kelly Walton and Drs. Monte Sellers and Donald Vennekotter, plus state police crime scene investigators Sgt. Ted Clamme and Sgt. Mark Green.

The prosecution will continue building its case against Schneider today in the trial scheduled to last until the end of next week.

More on