Pence seeks national group’s help in ed fightNovember 16, 2013
By The Associated Press
INDIANAPOLIS — Republican Gov. Mike Pence asked a national school boards group to step into an ongoing power struggle with Indiana Schools Superintendent Glenda Ritz on Friday, an offer she said was meaningless unless he deals with her directly.
Pence’s offer comes two days after Ritz, a Democrat, stormed out of a State Board of Education meeting. The fight between Ritz and Pence, who has appointment power over 10 of the 11 board seats and also staffs the board, has been escalating steadily throughout the year.
Pence framed the battle, in his letter to the National Association of State Boards of Education, as a fight between Ritz and the other board members.
“Despite this strong progress, I am aware that the Board has had difficulties in working together and I am writing to offer my administration’s assistance in finding a solution,” Pence wrote to the board members, including Ritz, who chairs the panel.
But a Ritz spokesman placed the blame for the continuing fights with Pence’s second education agency, created through an executive earlier this year. That agency took over staffing the state education board from Ritz’s office earlier this year and was at the center of a recent motion that spurred Ritz’s abrupt departure.
“She has said repeatedly that the source of this conflict is not with individual board members, but with the Governor’s newly created education agency,” Ritz spokesman Daniel Altman said in a statement Friday.
Members of the state board approved a broad outline for a new school-grading formula Wednesday morning, but their meeting quickly escalated into a shouting match over control of certain student assessments.
The relationship between Ritz and the other members was already icy heading into this week’s meeting. She filed a lawsuit against the other members claiming they violated state law by going around her to shift calculation of the state’s school grades from her office. The other members, a bipartisan group, said she had been dragging her feet in releasing the grades she openly opposed.
A Marion County judge dismissed the lawsuit last week.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
There’s one thing that always brings the Harts' family together — music. And on any given...
“The choices you make now will determine your future,” former NFL running back Tim Worley...
Instead of the sounds of basketballs dribbling or kids sprinting on the hardwood, the Cedar...
The Merkleys shared their experiences Thursday during the opening of the Dubois County...
A Thursday report of a suspicious man outside an antique store resulted in the individual being...
The town of Ferdinand will be on full display this weekend for the 20th annual Christkindlmarkt.
Dubois County’s newest state legislators were made official today.
Two men have been arrested on multiple charges after police say they poached several deer in...