Paper ignites in shredder-compactorApril 3, 2019
From Local Sources
JASPER — The Jasper Volunteer Fire Department was called into service Tuesday afternoon when a paper shredder-compactor malfunctioned, causing a bale of paper inside to ignite.
The 2:05 p.m. call sent the department to the Kimball Recycling Center at 1550 Power Drive, according to Fire Chief Kenny Hochgesang.
The flames did not spread quickly because the paper was packed so tight, according to Hochgesang. The finished bales from the machine are about 10 feet long and weigh 1,340 pounds each, he said.
Hochgesang said two employees used three extinguishers to control the fire until the department arrived.
There was no damage but the fire department briefly set up fans to exhaust smoke from the facility.
Four trucks and 27 firefighters were on the scene for about 20 minutes.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
The Dubois County Health Department confirms today three new cases of COVID-19, bringing the...
More than 200 people stood in a circle around the Dubois County Courthouse Saturday for Stand Up...
The Dubois County Health Department confirms six more positive cases of novel coronavirus,...
As days, weeks and months of social distancing push ahead into an uncertain future, meaningful...
The Dubois County Health Department confirms four more positive cases of novel coronavirus,...
Although park facilities — with the exception of playgrounds — were cleared to reopen last...
The Dubois County Health Department reported today a third COVID-19-related death in the county.
Zax Creamery — formerly Big Olaf Creamery — is set to launch in a new north side location on...