Our Town: CelestineApril 16, 2020
By KATHY BACHMAN
Updates from St. Isadore Pariah as of Tuesday, April 14:
• Parish office: St. Isidore Parish office continues to be closed under the state mandate and office personnel will be taking care of their own families. Please do not hesitate to call if your have a need. Parishioners can contact the parish office at 812-634-1875. The message will be checked regularly.
The church is still open, just please spread out within and use sanitizers when arriving and leaving.
• Weekday Mass: Fr. Jeff say a live streaming Mass everyday day around the usual time. He is doing private Mass inside his rectory, praying for all and for the specific Mass intention of the day. The only exception will be Saturday’s Mass. He will be saying Saturday Mass in the morning for the Mass intention; it will not be live streamed. He will be in each of the churches during the normal Mass times: 4:30 p.m., St. Raphael; 8 a.m., St. Celestine; and 10 a.m., St. Raphael.
Fr. Jeff will be available for conversation or individual prayer and will practice distancing.
• Confession: Confession times will remain the same except for one change: Saturday confessions will be from 4:30 p.m. until at least 5 p.m.
Confession at St. Celestine will be in the northeast corner of the church. Confession at St. Raphael will be near the St. Raphael statue in the southwest corner of the church. At the beginning of each confession time, Fr. Jeff will do drive-thru confessions in the parking lot for those wanting to stay in their vehicles. Other confession times are 6-6:30 p.m. Tuesday at St. Celestine; 7:30-8 a.m. Wednesday at St. Raphael; 7:30-8 p.m. Friday at St. Celestine; 4:30 p.m. Saturday at St. Raphael; 7:30-8 a.m. Sunday at St. Celestine; 9:30-10 a.m. at St. Raphel; or anytime by appointment.
If you don’t feel comfortable coming into the church or leaving the house, Fr. Jeff will do whatever you are comfortable with, including talking or hearing a confession outside or standing on your front porch talking through the screen door.
• Sunday Mass: All public Masses have been canceled. Please call any family members who could be out of the loop and let them know.
Fr. Jeff will live stream weekend Mass at 9 a.m. on Sunday via Facebook at www.facebook.com/saintisidoreparish/. Videos of past Mases are available on the Facebook app by searching for St. Isidore Catholic Parish. Some Masses may also be posted to the parishes YouTube page after the fact at www.youtube.com/channel/UCfoKfvuITvhvS83XaZsK_KQ. All weekend Masses are posted on the parish website at http://www.saintisidoreparish.com.
The parish will continue to have bulletins at both church entrances with holy water bottles available to parishioners.
• Weekly giving: Fr. Jeff has had a lot of questions from people asking what they might do for Sunday giving. “To be honest I haven’t thought about it much; I’ve seen your generosity and the parish is in a good position. I also realize that you might not be in a good position because of this. But of course if you want to continue your weekly giving we would be most grateful,” he says.
To continue giving, parishioners can: Mail an offering to P.O. Box 1, Celestine, IN 47521 or visit a link created on the diocese website (evdio.org) and click the tab “Sunday Collection Giving.” Follow the instructions to make a donation to St. Isidore Parish. Remember this isn’t CPC or capital campaign. It is something new the diocese created to allow parishioners to make a weekly donation.
• Divine Mercy service: At 3 p.m. Sunday, April 19, the Divine Mercy service will available on the parish’s website and Facebook page.
Leonard Heeke celebrated his 93rd birthday on April 16. Even though the date had passed, let us shower him with cards during the month of his birthday. Let’s put a smile on his face and have something for him to read for quite some time. Card can be sent to Leonard Heeke, Brookside Village, 1111 Church Ave. Jasper, IN 47546.
St. Isidore is going to postpone the vacation Bible school that was to be held June 15 through 18.
A one-day VBS will be held before school starts and a two-week notice of the date will be given. They will end the day with a family dinner and Mass.
Any further information will be included with the religious education registration packets that will be mailed in May.
Please join the Religious Education remind system to get updates — 81010 Message Line: @kc79 Cassie Beyke & Glenda Reckelhoff.
First Holy Communion
St. Isidore Parish has postponed First Holy Communion planned for May 2 and 3 until fall
An email has been sent to First Communion parents giving them two dates in September. Parents are asked to inform the parish if they would be unable to participate on either of the dates.
First Reconciliation will be held on Wednesday, Aug. 19.
St. Cemetery grotto
If you’ve been out walking the campus or been in the St. Celestine Cemetery, you’ve probably noticed the grotto has been renovated with new stone work. Although there is still some work to do, including landscaping, it looks really nice.
Many thanks to everyone who helped: Knights of Columbus members Ted Schnackertz, Alvin Lampert, Emil Schroering, Robert Rasche, and Charlie Glendening; Zach Marks; Jeremy Hopf; Chris Bieker; Amanda Steckler; Renee and Doug Merkel; Chad Merkley; Clarence Reckelhoff; and Jacob Verkamp. Thanks also to Alan Hoffman and Jill Kelly who helped make this possible
Items for this column may be mailed to Kathy Bachman at 808 Eisenhower Ave., Jasper IN 47546; called to 812-482-2074; or emailed to email@example.com. Information is needed by Wednesday night to be included in Friday’s column.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
St. Isidore First Holy Communion was held on Sept. 20, 2020 at St. Peter Celestine Church.