Our Town: CelestineMarch 26, 2020
By KATHY BACHMAN
This Friday from 4 to 7 p.m. the Happy Hour Sports Bar and Grill will have a drive-thru fish fry. Follow the behind-the-building lane restrictions to place an order and pick up your food at the front door. Cost is $10 a plate. The dinner includes fish, German fries, green beans and cole slaw. Loaves of fresh bread will be available for $2. This week’s proceeds will go to the Northeast Dubois High School senior class. Depending on what the rest of the school year holds, donation will go toward the prom, a graduation party for the whole class or a scholarship.
Celestine Community Club
We, the officers of the Celestine Community Club, would like to thank all of you for your patience with all of the crazy events going on in our world and how it relates to us at the club. As you know, we already canceled two of the spring shooting matches and now, in order to do our part to keep this from spreading, we will have to cancel the remaining two matches — Knights of Columbus on April 3 and fireman’s on April 17.
We know there are so many of you that just love to support the club and the Celestine community as a whole and we appreciate that very much!
But due to so many uncertainties, we cannot promise you that we will make these matches up. But we can promise you that we will absolutely give it our best shot.
Thanks to all of you supporters out there and please be safe and cautious and hope to see all of you very soon. Thanks again.
Spring raffle change
The spring shoot raffle drawing will be held at the first fall shoot on Aug. 26. The Celestine Community Club appreciates everyone’s understanding of the delay and hopes to see everyone at the fall shoots.
From Father Jeff Read
Here is information you need to know about the parish (as of Tuesday, March 24).
• Parish office: St. Isidore Parish office will be closed under the state mandate and office personnel will be taking care of their own families. Please do not hesitate to call if your have a need. Parishioners can contac the parish office at 812-634-1875 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Father will checking for messages. You can also contact Glenda Reckelhoff at 812-639-0379 or email@example.com; Connie Matheis at 812-639-9552 or firstname.lastname@example.org; Ashley Gessner at 812-639-3736 or email@example.com; or Cheryl Seger at 812-639-2646 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The church is still open, just please spread out when inside and use sanitizers when arriving and leaving.
• Mass: Fr. Jeff will say a private streaming Mass everyday day around the usual time. He will be in each of the churches during the normal Mass times: 4:30 p.m., St. Raphael; 8 a.m., St. Celestine; and 10 a.m., St. Raphael.
Fr. Jeff will be available for conversation or individual prayer and will practice distancing.
• Confession: Confession times will remain the same except for one change: Saturday confessions will be from 4:30 p.m. until at least 5 p.m.
Confession at St. Celestine will be in the northeast corner of the church. Confession at St. Raphael will be near the St. Raphael statue in the southwest corner of the church. At the beginning of each confession time, Fr. Jeff will do drive-thru confessions in the parking lot for those wanting to stay in their vehicles. Other confession times are 6-6:30 p.m. Tuesday at St. Celestine; 7:30-8 a.m. Wednesday at St. Raphael; 7:30-8 p.m. Friday at St. Celestine; 4:30 p.m. Saturday at St. Raphael; 7:30-8 a.m. Sunday at St. Celestine; 9:30-10 a.m. at St. Raphel; or anytime by appointment.
If you don’t feel comfortable coming into the church or leaving the house, Fr. Jeff will do whatever you are comfortable with, including talking or hearing a confession outside or standing on your front porch talking through the screen door.
• Sunday Mass: All public Masses have been canceled. Please call any family members who could be out of the loop and let them know.
Mass options: Fr. Jeff will be live streaming weekend Mass at 9 a.m. on Sunday via Facebook. He also will be live streaming daily Mass at the usual weekday Mass time. He is doing private Mass inside his rectory, praying for all and for the specific Mass intention of the day.
To find Masses on the Facebook app, search for St. Isidore Catholic Parish
Some Masses may also be posted to the parish’s YouTube page after the fact.
Other options include:
• Holy Family: 8:30 a.m. Sunday on WITZ 104.7 FM.
• St. Joseph, Jasper: 11 a.m. Sunday on WJTS TV Channel 18.
• Precious Blood: Streaming daily Mass on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/gary.kaiser.39
• St. Benedict Cathedral Evansville: Streaming Mass daily at https://www.facebook.com/saintbenedictcathedral/
• EWTN Catholic cable channel: 8 a.m. daily; 2 and 8 a.m., noon and 7 p.m. Sunday. EWTN is available at DirecTV channel 370, Dish Network channel 261 or streamed at https://www.ewtn.com.
• Daily Readings are available at http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/ and https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/dailyreadings.
The parish bus trip for May 4 has been canceled. We will keep everyone up-to-date about future trips when the time is right. Also, the Celestine community yard sale scheduled for April 17-18 is canceled.
Items for this column may be mailed to Kathy Bachman at 808 Eisenhower Ave., Jasper IN 47546; called to 812-482-2074; or emailed to email@example.com. Items need to be received by Wednesday night to be included in Friday’s column.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
The 4:30 p.m. Saturday night Mass is being live streamed on Facebook.
The Benedictine monks at Saint Meinrad Archabbey, St. Meinrad, celebrated the jubilees of four...
The third birthday of Luella Booth was celebrated Friday evening at her home in Evansville.
The Celestine Community Club made a recent announcement which was shared on Facebook and asked...
The Holland Kiwanis Club has announced the winners of their scholarship awards for 2020.
The Iota Lambda Chapter of Psi Iota Xi awarded two scholarships on July 17 to Forest Park...
Maggie Stephenson, daughter of Doug and Charlotte Stephenson, is the recipient of the $1,000...
Mike, Tai, Hudson and Easton Muldoon, Richmond, returned home Sunday after spending the weekend...