Our Town: CelestineJune 6, 2019
By KATHY BACHMAN
The American Red Cross blood drive will be held from 8 a.m. to noon Sunday, June 9, at St. Peter’s United Church of Christ in Dubois.
The Leaders of Tomorrow & Celestine All Stars will hold their next meeting on Monday, June 10, from 6 to 7 p.m. at the Celestine Community Club. The final meeting before the fair will be Sunday, July 7, from 6 to 8 p.m. for the swim party and record signing at the Celestine Community Club Lake. The whole family is welcome to attend.
D of I meetings
The monthly meeting in June has been canceled due to several conflicts. There will be no scheduled July meeting, which has been the policy for summer break. The next meeting will be Monday, Aug. 12.
K of C notice
Knights of Columbus’ regular business meeting will be held at 7:15 p.m. Tuesday, June 11, in the Happy Hour lower level.
Any Catholic gentleman interested in learning more about the benefits of becoming a K of C member is welcome to come at 7 p.m. prior to the meeting or contact Ted Schnackertz at 812-389-2529 or email council13623@indi
Senior citizens dinner
St. Isidore Parish Senior Citizens dinner will be Wednesday, June 12. The evening will begin with a 6 p.m. Mass followed by dinner. The Mass and dinner will be held at the Celestine Community Club.
Faith, Family, Father’s Night
The Faith, Family and Father’s Night with the Dubois County Bombers is scheduled for Sunday, June 16, at the Huntingburg League Stadium. Gates open at 5 p.m. and game starts at 6 p.m. Tickets are $2 each. Call the parish office at 812-634-1875 to reserve tickets.
Religious education, VBS forms
Forms for the 2019-20 school year, along with 2019 VBS registrations, were mailed this week. Extra copies can be found at the main church entrances as well as on the website. Read all the information as some times and locations have changed. All forms are due to the parish office by Monday, July 1.
Donations for workcamp
Donations are needed for the Catholic Heart Workcamp In June. We have 22 adults and youth attending the workcamp in Louisville from June 16 to 22. Each participant is required to bring a paint brush, roller cover and drop cloth. Participants can also bring painters tape, a paint tray, a small bucket, a paint scraper and rags for cleaning. If you can help by donating any of these items, contact Connie Matheis or the parish office.
Please keep our seminarian in your prayers. Notes and cards of encouragement may be sent to him at Caleb Scherzinger, Good Shepherd Parish, 2301 N. Stockwell Road, Evansville IN 47715.
Corpus Christi Procession
The Corpus Christi procession will be held at St. Raphael Church following the 10 a.m. Mass on Sunday, June 23.
The congregation will follow Jesus and Father in procession around the St. Raphael grounds. Those unable to walk the procession route may watch from the parking lot or gather in the church basement.
This traditional practice of the Corpus Christi procession was resurrected in our parish last year and with continued support, it is hoped it will be an annual event.
The parish is looking for groups or families who would be interested in setting up an altar. There are five altars and each needs to be decorated with flowers and white cloths. Contact Tammy Mehringer at 812-639-6278 if your family is interested in decorating an altar and contact Deacon Mike to volunteer to help with any planning of the procession.
Father Eugene’s farewell and thank-you weekend will be held June 22-23. Receptions will be held after each Mass.
Help is need:
• Saturday, June 22: 4:30 p.m. Mass, St. Celestine Dining Hall. Appetizers, cake and punch. Contact Glenda Reckelhoff at 812-639-0379 or firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer.
• Sunday, June 23: 8 a.m. Mass, St. Celestine carport. Doughnuts, juice and milk. Contact Janice Betz at 812-631-8760 or email@example.com to volunteer.
• Sunday, June 23: 10 a.m. Mass, St. Raphael Catholic Church basement. Corpus Christi procession following Mass at approximately 11:30 a.m. Appetizers and refreshments. Contact Tammy Mehringer at 812-639-6278 firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer.
St. Isidore Parish welcomes Fr. Jeff Read on Wednesday, June 26, his official starting date at St. Isidore Parish. Father Jeff was born on Jan. 22, 1981. He was ordained on June 2, 2012, as a priest for the Diocese of Evansville. Welcome to St. Isidore, Father Jeff!
T-shirts for the 2019 Streetfest are $10 each (2XL & 3XL are $13). Shirts are available at Sander Processing from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Contact Martha Goepfrich at 812-631-5566 for more information.
Special Mass time
A special Mass will be held at 4 p.m. Saturday, June 29, at St. Celestine Catholic Church.
This year’s one-day Streetfest will take place June 29 on the grounds of St. Celestine Catholic Church and be packed with events, food and fun for all ages. The complete schedule can be viewed at CelestineIndiana.com. Flyers with the schedule will be posted at local businesses and the church carport entrance.
Highlights of the festival include:
• Live music by MellenCougar from Chicago, a John Mellencamp tribute band, and special guest performances from Toby Myers and Moe Z M.D., former John Mellencamp band members, and singer/songwriter Bobby Clark, co-writer of Mellencamp’s most recent hit single, “Grandview.”
• Kegs and Corks, a craft beer and wine tasting festival.
• The Kids’ Zone, featuring bungee trampoline jumper rides, inflatables, races, games and mechanical bull rides for the young and young at heart.
• Community games and competitions at the main stage and a community scavenger hunt.
• The Super 5K Race. Registration will open at 7:15 a.m. and the race will begin at 8 a.m. at the St. Celestine Parish Center. Registration forms are available at the main church entrances or on the Streetfest website. There will also be a Kids’ Fun Run.
• A car show at Celestine Park.
• Dubois County’s biggest Game of Rock, Paper and Scissors
Volunteers are still needed for the festival. To volunteer, pick an event and contact the person listed next to the activity:
• Hamburger stand: Good Shepherd of the Hills Knights of Columbus: Ted Schnackertz, 812-389-2529.
• Dinner stand: Celestine Park, Allen Thewes, 812-630-8890.
• Beer garden: Celestine Community Club, Ryan Hasenour 812-630-4210 .
• Kids Zone: Celestine PTO, Ashley Meyer 812-630-4342.
• 240 Wheel Running: 5 to 7 p.m. in two one-hour shifts. Sellers and clerks are needed. Larry Schepers, 812-678-4807.
• Fest setup: Wednesday and Thursday, June 26-27 at 6 p.m.; Friday, June 28, remaining preparations. Volunteers of all ages are welcome and encouraged to help. Help is needed to set up all of the stands, tables, fence, stage, tents, parking, signage, and so forth. Food and drinks will be provided.
• Fest day of trash collection: Point person and volunteers for shifts throughout the day; Marc Lampert, 812-639-0428.
• Sunday cleanup: Point person and volunteers Sunday morning and afternoon to help clean up the grounds; Marc Lampert, 812-639-0428.
• Rental items: Collect and return rental and borrowed items; Tony Buechler, 812-827-8430.
• Super 5K: New course is four miles; 7:15 a.m., registration; 8 a.m., race starts; new start location, Celestine Parish Hall. Registration form available at the main church entrances or at www.ce
• Car show: Saturday, June 29, Celestine Park; registration, 8 a.m.
• Car cruise: Sunday, June 23 (held the Sunday before Streetfest at Celestine Park). Noon, registration; leaving from Celestine Park at 1 p.m.
Susan Reuber will be making her Perpetual Monastic Profession on Saturday, June 22, at Our Lady of Grace Monastery in Beach Grove. This is the final step taken by a woman in the Benedictine community. She vows for the rest of her life to follow the teachings of St. Benedict and to be bound to their particular community. Through her life as a Benedictine Sister she commits herself to seeking God in everyone and everything and every day of her life.
Susan is the daughter of Paul and Linda Reuber of Celestine. Send cards to Susan Reuber, 1402 Southern Ave., Beach Grove IN 46107.
Check out the schedule for several senior exercise programs.
Teen/Tween Craft: Do-it-Yourself Honeycomb Shelf, 4:15 p.m. Monday, June 10. Create a one-of-a-kind shelf to hang in a room. Preregistration is required.
Adult Craft: American Flag canvas painting, 6 p.m. Monday, June 10. Preregistration is required.
How to Use the Genealogy Room to Research Your Family Roots: 6:30 p.m. Monday June 10. Preregistration is required.
Howl at the Moon with Tom Sieling: 6 p.m. Monday, June 17. Guitar, banjo and harmonica music will be performed.
River City String Band: 6:30 p.m. Saturday, June 22. Traditional, bluegrass and country music will be performed.
End-of-the-Month Book Club: 6:30 p.m. Monday, June 24. Stop by the library to pick up a copy of the book.
Items for this column may be mailed to Kathy Bachman at 808 Eisenhower Ave., Jasper IN 47546; called to 812-482-2074; or emailed to email@example.com. Items need to be received by Wednesday night to be included in Friday’s column.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Starting Jasper quarterback Gavin Hile prepares to pass under pressure from Vincennes Lincoln's...
Bishop Joseph Siegel will preside at the 4:30 p.m. Mass on Saturday, Aug. 17, at St. Celestine...
Jeff and Natalie Meece are announcing the adoption of Erika Faith, Cruz Isaiah and Bella Jane...
Weekly look at area entertainment happenings.
Weekly look at area entertainment happenings.
Novice Christian Lumsden professed his temporary vows as a Benedictine monk in a ceremony on...
A blood drive is planned from 8 a.m. to noon Sunday, Aug. 11, at St. Raphael Catholic Church.
The 2019 Mosquito Fest is now history, but we are thankful for a very successful one.