Opening set for casino after investigation's delaysMarch 24, 2021
By The Associated Press
INDIANAPOLIS — A new $300 million casino in northwestern Indiana is set to open in mid-May after delays caused by a state investigation into allegations of financial wrongdoings by the casino developer's former top executive.
The Indiana Gaming Commission on Tuesday also approved a settlement with a $530,000 fine against Indianapolis-based Spectacle Entertainment over missing by 53 days a deadline for ex-company CEO Rod Ratcliff to sell his ownership stake in the new Hard Rock Casino Northern Indiana in Gary.
Ratcliff agreed in early March to also permanently give up his state casino license after a couple decades as a heavyweight in Indiana’s gambling industry.
Hard Rock Casino executive Jon Lucas said the new casino was expected to open to the public on May 15. The new casino along Interstate 80/94 will replace the existing Majestic Star casino along Lake Michigan.
The developer of the planned $125 million casino in Terre Haute told the commission that a late April groundbreaking is planned for the project.
Ratcliff and another former Spectacle executive were forced last year to give up their ownership stake in the Terre Haute casino to business partner Greg Gibson after they faced allegations of making illegal political campaign contributions with casino company money.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
The Indiana State Department of Health reported Tuesday two new COVID-19 cases in Dubois County.
Vaccine #2 is in the books. I got my second Moderna shot Saturday afternoon. And I had less of a...
Angie Ruxer’s kindergartners hover around her on their Strider bikes — beginner's bikes...
Dr. Frank Hopkins has been named the 2021 Little Company of Mary Outstanding Physician Award...
The Indiana State Department of Health has reported since Friday nine new COVID-19 cases in...
The Dubois County Museum is hosting a party from 5:30 to 8 p.m. on Thursday for the special...
As a boy, Bob McCarty saw the world through a varied lens. He used the camera lens to display...
Cassie (Gehlhausen) Williams will be Cedar Crest Intermediate School’s principal next school year.