No spectators for high school basketball tournaments?

By The Associated Press

Nebraska is the latest state to limit attendance or cancel a state high school championship tournament.

The Nebraska boys' basketball tournament will be played as scheduled Thursday through Saturday, but the only fans allowed into the venues will be participants' immediate families.

The Lincoln and Lancaster County Health Department recommended limiting spectators because of concern about the spread of coronavirus. Health officials announced this week that a Crofton High School student who attended the girls' tournament in Lincoln last week was diagnosed with COVID-19.

Ohio announced that only participants' families and media will be allowed to attend winter sports postseason tournaments.

Connecticut has canceled the remainder of its winter sports seasons as well as state tournaments.

Boys' and girls' basketball tournaments in New York and Pennsylvania have been disrupted because several schools have declined to host games, forcing them to be rescheduled.

NCAA President Mark Emmert says NCAA Division I basketball tournament games will not be open to the general public because of concerns about the spread of coronavirus.

Emmert said in a statement Wednesday that he made the decision to conduct both the men's and women's tournaments, which begin next week, with only essential staff and limited family in attendance. The decision comes after the NCAA's COVID-19 advisory panel of medical experts recommended against playing sporting events open to the general public.

EDITOR'S NOTE: The decisions in other states to limit attendance, reschedule games and even cancel state tournaments have not yet impacted the Indiana basketball tournaments. Regional games involving Heritage Hills and Northeast Dubois are expected to be held Saturday as scheduled and without restrictions.




More on DuboisCountyHerald.com