Meeting: Southwest SchoolsJune 21, 2019
The Southwest Dubois County School Board met Thursday and:
• Thanked the Holland Events Committee for a $5,000 donation to the playground project at Holland Elementary School.
• Congratulated several student athletes for recent victories and awards.
• Approved the following facilities use requests: Southridge High School Cheer Boosters to use the Maple Park parking lot for a car wash fundraiser on July 13; Southwest Youth Football to use the youth field and building July through November as available; and the Holland Events Committee to use the Southridge High School auditorium and Irene Bartelt Field for various events associated with the Holland Fest in September.
• Approved the following field trips: the high school girls track team to attend the Indiana High School Athletic Association state competition in Bloomington; the high school volleyball team to have a team sleepover at the school; the high school football team to attend camp at Hanover College in Madison; the high school boys basketball team to attend the IBCA Shootout in Indianapolis; and the high school choir to perform at Carnegie Hall in New York City over spring break in March 2020.
• Approved the following resignations: assistant soccer coach Irvin Rocha, assistant wrestling coach Brad Ohanian and assistant girls basketball coach Steve Winkler at the high school; media assistant Deb Stemle at Southridge Middle School; and preschool special needs teacher Madeline Stilwell and special needs preschool assistant Toni Jones at Holland Elementary.
• Approved the following reassignments: Mary Lou Buse from food service to permanent substitute teacher; and Korrine Whitehead from 2019 summer school teacher to summer school assistant.
• Approved the following new hires: English as a second language and Spanish teacher Rosalind Ornelas, math teacher Sara Schleter, head wrestling coach Kurt Collins, head girls basketball coach Greg Werner and color guard instructor Juana Sandoval at the high school; social studies teacher Craig Popp at the middle school; and kindergarten teacher Rachel Blessinger at Holland Elementary.
• Renewed the contracts with Athletic Director Brett Bardwell and Holland Elementary Principal John Seger for another year.
• Approved the 2019-20 meal prices. At the elementary schools, student breakfast will be $1.20 and student lunch will be $2.40. At the middle and high school, student breakfast will be $1.50 and student lunch will be $2.65. At all schools, adult breakfast will be $1.80 and adult lunch will be $3.30.
• Approved 2019-20 textbook rental fees.
• Approved a maximum class size of 170. State laws require school corporations to set a maximum class size.
• Approved Aug. 1 as the deadline for transfer students to apply to attend Southwest Dubois in the 2019-20 school year. Students are welcome to move into the district at any time, but the state still requires corporations to set a deadline each year.
• Approved the 2020 budget timeline and approved advertising the 2020 budget online.
• Approved changes to the corporation’s secondary career and technical education course offerings. The corporation plans to add Advanced Manufacturing II, and a computer science and biomedical class.
• Approved canceling the schools’ agreement with Five-Star Technology Solutions for tech support services.
• Approved a contract with The AME Group of Vincennes for tech support services.
• Approved contracting with Dr. Brian Blessinger of Norris, Blessinger & Woebkenberg Orthopaedics & Spine of Jasper for athletic training services.
• Approved the joint services and supply fund agreement with the Exceptional Children’s Co-Op for the next two years. The co-op provides services for special needs students for all Dubois County schools and several surrounding counties.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Ireland Elementary is saying, “Salutations,” to the school year with a reading initiative...
The Herald went home with more than 20 awards at this year’s Hoosier State Press Association...
The 2019 Huntingburg Herbstfest Miss and Pre-Teen Miss Queen Pageants are set for 7 p.m. Sunday,...
While many newlyweds choose a tropical getaway for their honeymoon, 2015 Jasper High School...
Fridays during football season are some of Southridge High School Athletic Director Brett...
Like any sports enthusiast, John Braun of Cannelton has made his fair share of bets with...
If you’ve been by the corner of Fourth and Mill streets lately, chances are you’ve seen...
Bill Hochgesang, superintendent of the Northeast Dubois County School Corporation, has been...