Meeting: Southwest Dubois SchoolsDecember 20, 2019
The Southwest Dubois School Board met Thursday and:
• Thanked the Herald Endowment for Literacy of the Dubois County Community Foundation for a $150 donation to each of the corporation’s schools to purchase reading materials.
• Heard a presentation from Director of Curriculum Melissa Boeglin on the corporation’s efforts to establish an English/Spanish dual language immersion program. DLI programs immerse students in two languages — English and the target language — and teach subjects in both languages so that by the time students graduate high school, they are fluent in both languages. Southwest Dubois plans to launch its program this fall with one section of kindergarten at Huntingburg Elementary.
• Approved the following facilities use requests: Girl Scout Troop 55 to use a Huntingburg Elementary classroom on the third Thursday of each month for its monthly meeting; the Southridge Art Department to use the Southridge Middle School gym for its Prom Dress Resale fundraiser on Jan. 25; Alpha Kappa Delta Education Sorority to use a Southridge High School classroom on Jan. 9; the high school band and choir to use the middle school gym for the annual mattress sale on March 14; and DC Multisports to use the high school pool, the Southridge complex and Huntingburg Elementary for the youth triathlon on May 16.
• Approved an overnight field trip for two students to perform with the Indiana All State Honor Choir in January.
• Approved the retirement of Huntingburg Elementary teacher Jennifer Underhill, effective Dec. 20.
• Approved the resignations of Holland Elementary instructional assistant Ashley Kratzer and Huntingburg Elementary instructional assistant Samantha Morrison.
• Approved the following new hires: robotics co-sponsor Darla Werne and instructional assistants Rachel Kimmel and Miranda Shoultz at Holland Elementary; instructional assistants Kayse Kline, Heather Black, Kelly Sherman and Bailey Barrett at Huntingburg Elementary; elementary volleyball co-coaches Ashley Blessinger and Heather Williams for fifth grade and Mande Keusch and Brandy Anderson for sixth grade.
• Approved the middle school leadership team members: Kendra Kern; Erin Marshall; Jennifer Schutte; Kyle Baseden; Tiffany Neuhoff; Nichole Riehle and Shannon Fuhs.
• Approved cafeteria staff stipends for Jan. 3, which will be a snow makeup day.
• Approved early graduation for one high school senior in the class of 2020.
• Approved the school corporation to apply for all Federal Title and Indiana Department of Education grants for which it is eligible and any other grants deemed appropriate by the administration during 2020. This action allows administrators to apply for grants throughout the year without having to get board approval each time.
• Set the January reorganization meeting for 6 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 9, at the corporation office, 113 N. Jackson St., Huntingburg.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari’s newest marquee attraction is the first of its kind — a...
The county's plan for reopening will follow the state's plan.
The Dubois County Health Department reported today one new COVID-19 case.
A little bowtie-clad hamster named Harry Hugger is here to teach children about the COVID-19...
Dubois County Democratic Chairman Mike Kendall said he still stands behind Mikayla Granados’...
The Dubois County Health Department today reported no new COVID-19 cases.
In just under a year, the Tri-County YMCA in Ferdinand will be 50% larger. It held a...
The Dubois County Health Department reported today two new COVID-19 cases.