Meeting: Southwest Dubois SchoolsOctober 18, 2019
The Southwest Dubois School Board met Thursday and:
• Approved the 2020 budget, which is set at $23,078,934, with a tax levy of $6,577,730.
• Approved the 2020 capital projects plan and the 2020-24 bus replacement plan.
• Heard that Holland Elementary was honored with the national Blue Ribbon School designation.
• Heard that Southridge Middle School students raised more than $2,000 to help two local families that recently lost children to childhood cancer.
• Heard that teams from the middle school and Southridge High School won awards at the Kimball Electronics Gives 2019 Dubois County Making a Difference Awards.
• Heard that several teachers received funds from Hub 19 and the Regional Opportunity Initiatives grant to support dynamic, innovative and creative learning environments that bridge the gap between education and industry.
• Approved the following facilities use requests: the National Archery in Schools Program to use the high school field house; Danielle Blessinger and Amber Brown to use the high school pool for water aerobics classes; the Huntingburg Police Department to use the high school track and Raider Field for agility training; the Holland Events Committee to use the Holland Elementary gym for the town Halloween party; the Dubois County Motorcycle Club to use the Memorial Gym parking lot for a T-shirt fundraiser; high school football boosters to use the high school cafeteria for team meals; CREW Wrestling to use the high school wrestling room for practice and Memorial Gym for the Mat Raid Tournament; and an adult basketball program to use the Holland Elementary gym.
• Approved the high school Future Farmers of America to attend the crops, entomology and forestry contests at Purdue University in West Lafayette.
• Approved the following resignations: Southridge food service staff Tonya Seidl; and Title I assistant April Underhill and fifth grade cheer sponsor Tina Fetter at Huntingburg Elementary.
• Approved the retirement of Holland Elementary Principal John Seger, which was effective Thursday. Kelly Murphy will take over as Holland Elementary’s principal.
• Approved the following appointments: kindergarten assistant Maria Eckert, English language learners assistant Olivia Dubon, Title I assistant Melanie Wilkey, custodian Rebecca McLaughlin, fifth grade boys basketball coach Ben Steckler, cheer sponsor Kyla King, Student Council sponsor Ginger Rasche, fifth grade boys basketball volunteer Brad Buse and girls basketball volunteers Olivia Songer and Josh Taylor at Huntingburg Elementary; fifth grade boys basketball coach Tyler Rainey and fifth grade boys basketball volunteers Elliot Prusz and Jeremy Flamion at Holland Elementary; sixth grade boys basketball coach Craig Popp, sixth grade boys basketball volunteer Christopher Sherman and eighth grade boys basketball volunteer Cameron O’Bryan at the middle school; marching band volunteers Kaleb Sandoval and Janelle Hollinden and music and theater volunteer Andy Hoffman at the high school; and food service staff Rebecca McNelly at the Southridge complex.
• Approved a budget transfer for the Southern Indiana Education Center. The SIEC is a collaboration between several local schools, and Southwest Dubois is the lead agency and manages the organization’s budgets. Approved an updated agreement with the Southridge Aquatic Raider Gators.
• Approved the 2019-20 and 2020-21 agreements between the school corporation and the SW Dubois Classroom Teachers Association. The board held a public hearing on the agreements Monday morning. There were no public comments at either meeting.
• Approved an agreement with the Catholic Heart Workcamp for 2020.
• Heard that the building corporation that managed the construction of Huntingburg and Holland elementaries will disband. Both properties have been deeded to the school corporation, and $20,000 from the building corporation’s account will be transferred to the school.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
The Dubois County Health Department reported today 24 new positive COVID-19 cases.
The nun serving as the Spanish language interpreter for the Dubois County Courts will tell you...
The four school corporations worked together to secure funding for 15 stop-arm cameras that were...
The Dubois County Health Department reported today 18 new positive COVID-19 cases.
Later this month, Bryce Conway will begin working as the group’s event coordinator.
The Dubois County Health Department reported today three new positive COVID-19 cases.
Was it a sign? The way this year has been going, should we be surprised that a Jasper creek...
Burgess and Courtney Heberer founded Santa Claus Exterior Cleaning after they discovered a new...