Meeting: Southwest Dubois SchoolsNovember 16, 2018
The Southwest Dubois School Board met Thursday and:
• Congratulated the Southridge High School football team on winning regional; the Raider band on qualifying for semistate; high school cross country runners Brooklyn Tretter and Dylan Bland on qualifying for semistate; volleyball players Amanda Brewer and Mady Neukam on being recognized with the Indiana Coaches of Girls Sports Association and Indiana High School Volleyball Coaches Association Academic All-State awards; and the Southridge Middle School Spell Bowl team on winning state for the first time in school history.
• Approved the following facilities use requests: the Holland Kiwanis Club to use the Holland Elementary cafeteria for a Christmas party on Dec. 1; the Hummingbird Daycare Preschool to use the Holland Elementary gym for a Christmas program on Dec. 3; and the Huntingburg Optimist Club to use all the corporation gymnasiums and the high school cafeteria for a youth basketball tournament Feb. 15-17.
• Approved a field trip for the high school German Club to the Kentucky Center for the Arts in Louisville for The Nutcracker Ballet.
• Approved the retirement of Holland Elementary Principal John Seger effective at the end of the 2019-20 school year.
• Approved the resignations of Holland Elementary instructional assistant Carissa King and Huntingburg Elementary food service staff Sandy Ring.
• Approved the following new hires: Director of Maintenance and Facilities Brian Blackgrove for the corporation; wrestling volunteer Robert Hall at the high school; seventh grade girls basketball volunteer Tamara Wertman, seventh grade boys basketball volunteer Steve Sturgeon and wrestling volunteers Christopher Vernon and Kurt Collins at the middle school; instructional assistant Tiffany Welborn at Huntingburg Elementary; and instructional assistant Amanda Hellmann, fifth grade boys basketball volunteers Randall Flamion, Jeremy Flamion and Daniel Ring, fifth grade girls basketball volunteers Lisa Rasche, Paul Nichter, and Aimee Arnold and cheer sponsor Hannah Mundy at Holland Elementary.
• Approved Indiana Wesleyan University student Emily Elkins to complete student teaching during the spring semester with high school English teacher Erica Hohl.
• Approved a resolution for payments of claims and fund transfers to allow staff to make the necessary payments to close out the fiscal year after the December board meeting.
• Approved establishing funding for the education and operations funds. The funds were created in accordance with new state laws regarding school funding. The balance in the current general fund will be transferred to the education fund at the end of the year, and the balances in the current capital projects, transportation and bus replacement funds will be transferred to the operations fund.
• Heard the first reading of an update to the corporation’s policy covering incentives for teachers to attain master’s degrees. Under the policy, teachers with a master’s degree in their subject area will be given an annual addition to their base pay. The changes are to clarify the policy; no major changes were made.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
There’s more to Young Life than fostering faith. Teens build lifelong relationships with...
We’re still in the thick of spring, but there’s something about the upcoming Old Jasper Day...
Indiana’s Lt. Gov. Suzanne Crouch walked around Market Street Park with Huntingburg Mayor...
The feasibility study on options for expanding the Dubois County Security Center and addressing...
Crossroads Behavioral Health in the former St. Joseph's Hospital building in Huntingburg, will...
St. Joseph Catholic Church’s Father Ray Brenner will celebrate the 50th anniversary of his...
Due to rain amounts less than forecasted, the Louisville District of the U.S. Army Corps of...
News of a change in Indiana education law regarding kindergarten caused confusion earlier this...