Meeting: Southeast Dubois SchoolsMarch 8, 2018
The Southeast Dubois School Board met Wednesday and:
• Recognized Ferdinand Elementary student Will Steckler for winning the Indiana Veterans of Foreign Wars’ statewide flag essay contest. Also recognized Forest Park students Katie Winkler and Marna Davis for their success at the school’s Poetry Out Loud contest.
• Heard sample e-learning lessons from Andi Longabaugh, a kindergarten teacher at Pine Ridge Elementary, and Kyla Lueken, a sixth-grade teacher at Cedar Crest Intermediate. The corporation will make up one of its snow days with an e-learning day on Saturday, March 17. Students will have until the following Monday to complete assignments given on that day. The last day of school across the corporation will be Friday, May 25.
• Approved professional leaves that will send teachers to various training sessions, conferences, workshops and events throughout the area.
• Approved foreign language students to attend the World Language Bowl at the University of Southern Indiana, first-graders to go bowling at Breakaway Lanes in Huntingburg, fourth-grade students to attend Heritage Days at the Dubois County Museum, and more.
• Approved the retirement of Rita Sonderman, the extracurricular treasurer at Forest Park Junior-Senior High School. Sonderman is one of the corporation’s original employees.
• Also approved the resignations of Michelle VanMeter as preschool leader at Ferdinand Elementary; Hannah Sitzman as the sixth-grade girls basketball coach at Cedar Crest Intermediate; Melonie Cox-Haase and Ashley Kilburn as instructional assistants at Pine Ridge; Nicole Perry as a part-time janitor and cafeteria assistant at Ferdinand Elementary; and Jenny Mathias as a library aide at Ferdinand Elementary.
• Approved the hiring and reassignments of Jennifer Lusk as the head girls tennis coach at Forest Park; Tara Uebelhor as the assistant girls tennis coach at Forest Park; Elise Hasenour as an instructional assistant at Pine Ridge; Mary Snively as a preschool leader at Ferdinand Elementary; Leah Miller as the assistant softball coach and Hannah Sitzman as the second assistant softball coach, both at Forest Park; and Eli Major as a temporary instructional assistant at Pine Ridge.
• Approved two $1,000 donations. One was from Perry-Spencer Communications for scholarships at Forest Park and the other was from Jim Mehling for weight room equipment at Forest Park.
• Approved the board to attend the Indiana School Board Association’s regional spring meeting at KlubHaus 61 in Jasper on Tuesday, April 24.
Approved the bus contractor bids for the corporation’s routes from 2018 to 2022. The corporation’s transportation will cost about $2,700 a day.
Approved the corporation to use Vantiv Credit Card Processing for parents to pay for school lunch and textbook rental. Those who use the service will be charged a fee of $2 for loading lunch accounts and $8 for paying textbook fees. Parents can still pay with cash and check and will not be charged a fee.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Paul Wehr of St. Anthony has been decorating many of his clients’ homes and businesses for the...
Dubois County Commissioner Elmer Brames has been elected president of the Indiana Association of...
State Sen. Erin Houchin. R-Salem, has been appointed by Senate President Pro Tem Rodric Bray,...
Huntingburg will complete six of its nine Stellar Communities-designated projects by the time...
It has been a good year for the arts in Jasper.
A community saw its labor come to fruition last month when Justyn Moffatt, 15, and his...
Chrisney Elementary School won one of up to 100 Title I Distinguished Schools Awards given...
Sally Saalman Mosby of Leopold will share her story during a Will Read and Sing for Food benefit...