Meeting: Solid Waste Management DistrictJanuary 22, 2020
The Dubois County Solid Waste Management District met Tuesday and:
• Welcomed Dubois County Councilwoman Sonya Hass and Jasper Councilman Chad Lueken to the board. Haas replaces Councilwoman Becky Beckman; Lueken replaces former Councilman John Bell.
• Re-elected county Commissioner Elmer Brames as chairman and county Commissioner Chad Blessinger as vice chairman. Haas was elected secretary.
• Learned from District Director Carla Striegel–Winner that a tour will be set up for the public for Earth Day 2020, which is the 50th anniversary. The tour will include a stop at Jasper Salvage, the district process center and a landfill. It will also include a demonstration by the RC Flyers and a talk from an Indiana Department of Environmental Management representative.
• Heard that plans for a recycling market development grant are progressing. Although the district has been awarded the $10,700 grant, it has not received the signed paperwork for it, Striegel–Winner said. Plans for the grant include having a structure at the process center to hold items that the district doesn’t recycle; people from the public interested in the items can pick them up before they are disposed of. The Dubois County Commissioners agreed to accept the $5,000 structure into the county inventory once it is built. The district also plans to use part of the grant for an area to collect Freon for recycling.
• Heard that the district is pursuing a community recycling grant; that application was submitted in December, Striegel–Winner said.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
The Herald asked four individuals about what they wear on a daily basis.
Teens at local high schools donned orange this week to bring awareness to an issue that on...
The planners behind a Dubois County summer festival have a new person at the helm.
Immigration lawyer Christine Popp travels from Bloomington to Dubois County to help immigrants...
Amy Morris picked up five quesadillas for herself and her Rural King coworkers. Santiago Nunez...
A member of the Indiana State Police at the Jasper Post is being recognized for reaching a...
The route options for the proposed Mid-States Corridor will be discussed at public meetings next...
The banging of hammers echoed down the hall at the Center for Technology, Innovation and...