Meeting: Solid Waste Management DistrictSeptember 18, 2018
The Dubois County Solid Waste Management District board met Monday and:
• Agreed to have an employee use four hours a week to help with enforcing the junk ordinance and future property maintenance ordinance. The process center attendant position is a 24-hour-per-week position; however only 20 hours are used, Director Carla Striegel-Winner explained. She is planning to have someone use the remaining four hours to help with enforcement, such as taking photos of problem sites. When the property maintenance ordinance is in place, Striegel-Winner said, the county may want to hire a part-time person to help more with enforcement.
• Heard that Striegel-Winner is guiding some organizations wanting to use the district’s events bins for longer than one event to seek grants and funding to purchase their own bins. Several groups have asked her about long-term use. The bins are used by groups for a specific event, and then returned so that another group can use them, Striegel-Winner said. The groups are responsible for recycling what they collect.
• Learned that an external water leak at the processing center has been repaired. Striegel-Winner realized there was a problem when the center’s water bill was four times more than it should have been.
• Heard of upcoming events, including the National Prescription Drug Take Back Day on Oct. 27 and Dubois County Creek Sweep on Nov. 3. The next Twilight Tuesday, at which people can dispose of items and recycling at the process center, will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Sept. 25.
• Decided that the next board meeting will be at 7:30 a.m. Monday, Dec. 17, at the Courthouse Annex, 602 Main St., Jasper.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
There's more to a team than its players' athletic skills. Area high school athletic teams have...
The Heritage Hills High School Class of 2019 will graduate at 3 p.m. CT Saturday in the Lincoln...
The Northeast Dubois High School Class of 2019 will graduate at 6 p.m. Saturday at Northeast...
When Northeast Dubois High School junior Taylor Neukam set out to write a bilingual book in...
The Jasper High School Class of 2019 will graduate at 6 p.m. Friday at Jasper High School, with...
In 2016, a quad of friends set out on what could be seen as an epic bicentennial journey.
Fallen U.S. military members will be honored Monday on Memorial Day.
The Southridge High School Class of 2019 will graduate at 7 p.m. Friday in Memorial Gym with 139...