Meeting: Otwell Miller AcademyApril 18, 2019
The Otwell Miller Academy School Board met Monday and:
• Approved a donation of a semitrailer to be set on a foundation on school grounds and used for storage.
• Approved running a two-week summer school program from Monday, May 27 to Friday, June 7.
• Discussed offering a Jump Start program a week prior to the first day of school. The program would be a summer school program designed to give students a week of review and preparation prior to the school year. Director Rich Padgett is working to see if such a program complies with the Indiana Department of Education’s summer school guidelines.
• Discussed changing job duties in the school cafeteria now that a hot-lunch program has been added.
• Heard that the school began the application process for the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s free and reduced price lunch program. Padgett expects to be able to offer the service for the 2019-20 school year.
• Approved a schoolwide field trip to Holiday World in Santa Claus on May 21, which is also the last day of school.
• Discussed providing an electronic copy of the school handbook to families. Agenda books would still be purchased for students.
• Discussed having a school employee take dyslexia specialist training to comply with a new state law that requires schools to test kindergarten and first-grade students for dyslexia. The law allows schools to contract with a dyslexia specialist, but Padgett and the board think having someone on staff will better serve the school.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Several local Girl Scout troops gathered outside Redeemer Lutheran Church in Jasper Monday...
Digging into old documents and scouring through the past, Rosie Stewart does most of her work...
Former Ferdinand resident Melissa Taylor recently achieved a personal goal of visiting all 50...
An emergency medical helicopter service is looking to relocate to the Huntingburg Airport. But...
Homestead BBQ opened in Ferdinand earlier this month.
As a radio man and regular Jasper High School Athletic Department emcee, it’s rare for Bob...
Before the Northeast Dubois Marching Jeeps began what could have been their final performance of...
Kira Jones was named Miss Flame during the Indiana Volunteer Firefighter Association’s...