Meeting: Otwell Miller AcademyAugust 21, 2018
The Otwell Miller Academy School Board met Monday and:
• Welcomed Jordan Hill and Sherryl Osgatharp to the board. They are appointments from the Friends of Otwell group. The board is now a seven-member board.
• Elected officers for the year. Hill was elected president, Lou Fort was elected vice president, Jenny Byrd was elected secretary and Osgatharp was elected treasurer.
• Discussed adding two teacher aides to the staff due to higher class sizes. School enrollment jumped from 60 to 88 students this year.
• Heard that progress with the cafeteria and playground projects are going well.
• Tabled a recommendation for a salary increase for office staff. Teachers did receive a pay increase for this school year.
• Approved the school safety plan.
• Approved hiring a school nurse.
• Approved the budget for the 2018-19 school year. The school is not required to advertise or publish its budget like other schools because as a charter school, Otwell Miller Academy does not receive local tax dollars.
• Heard that the school is working to get lunch service at the school. For now, students need to bring their own lunches.
• Announced an anniversary celebration for the school on Tuesday, Aug. 28. The celebration includes a community open house from 4 to 6 p.m. at the school, 9958 E. County Road 150 North, Otwell.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Dubois County Council members discussed on Monday options for financing either a renovated...
County officials discussed at length on Monday the $40,500 Dubois County is being asked to...
Fifty years ago, Northwood Retirement Community opened in Jasper as Northwood Good Samaritan Center.
A dedication ceremony for the Ferdinand Veterans Memorial, constructed on the north side of town...
There’s more to Young Life than fostering faith. Teens build lifelong relationships with...
We’re still in the thick of spring, but there’s something about the upcoming Old Jasper Day...
Indiana’s Lt. Gov. Suzanne Crouch walked around Market Street Park with Huntingburg Mayor...
The feasibility study on options for expanding the Dubois County Security Center and addressing...