Meeting: Otwell Miller AcademyAugust 21, 2018
The Otwell Miller Academy School Board met Monday and:
• Welcomed Jordan Hill and Sherryl Osgatharp to the board. They are appointments from the Friends of Otwell group. The board is now a seven-member board.
• Elected officers for the year. Hill was elected president, Lou Fort was elected vice president, Jenny Byrd was elected secretary and Osgatharp was elected treasurer.
• Discussed adding two teacher aides to the staff due to higher class sizes. School enrollment jumped from 60 to 88 students this year.
• Heard that progress with the cafeteria and playground projects are going well.
• Tabled a recommendation for a salary increase for office staff. Teachers did receive a pay increase for this school year.
• Approved the school safety plan.
• Approved hiring a school nurse.
• Approved the budget for the 2018-19 school year. The school is not required to advertise or publish its budget like other schools because as a charter school, Otwell Miller Academy does not receive local tax dollars.
• Heard that the school is working to get lunch service at the school. For now, students need to bring their own lunches.
• Announced an anniversary celebration for the school on Tuesday, Aug. 28. The celebration includes a community open house from 4 to 6 p.m. at the school, 9958 E. County Road 150 North, Otwell.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Not all injuries are physical or mental. Some can stem from the soul. Such was the message at a...
Three VEX Robotics teams from Lincoln Trail Elementary and one from Cedar Crest Intermediate...
At 25, Eber Menjivar is the youngest member of the Jasper Utility Service Board, and he is the...
This week is Pine Ridge Elementary's sixth annual Wellness Week, an initiative focused on...
I’ve enjoyed a few stadium shakers in my time, but it’s the anti-arena acts on the smaller...
The hottest ticket the last two weekends for an Indiana volunteer firefighter had to be the...
Although he is in the middle of his Congressional work in the nation’s capital, U.S. Sen. Mike...
Bark in the Parklands was a joint event between the Dubois County Humane Society and the Jasper...