Meeting: Northeast Dubois SchoolsOctober 16, 2019
The Northeast Dubois School Board met Tuesday and:
• Approved teacher contact agreements with the Northeast Dubois Classroom Teachers Association for the 2019-20 and 2020-21 school years. The board held a public hearing on the contracts at its September meeting.
• Approved a construction bid from Seufert Construction of Ferdinand for the renovations to the Northeast Dubois High School building that will prepare the building to house seventh through 12th grade in the 2020-21 school year. The total bid is $3,865,480. Work is scheduled to begin in the next couple weeks. Learn more here.
• Approved the following field trips: the community leaders in education professions class on an overnight field trip to Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis; and the anatomy and physiology class to visit Wabash Valley College in Mount Carmel, Illinois.
• Approved hiring special needs assistant Blake Ziegler at Dubois Elementary School and corporation bus driver Stephanie Faulk-Tillberry.
• Approved the 2019-20 school improvement plan. It can be found on the corporation’s website.
• Approved creating a half-time assistant principal position for the 2020-21 school year that will serve the seventh through 12th graders at the high school. The position will be created by adjusting a current position. Currently, the director of improvement, data and testing is a half-time position with the other half of that employee’s time spent teaching. Now, the assistant principal position will replace the teaching portion of that job. Superintendent Bill Hochgesang said the plan is to hire from within to fill the new position.
• Discussed renaming the three school buildings that will remain in the 2020-21 school year to Northeast Dubois Junior-Senior High School, Northeast Dubois Intermediate School and Northeast Dubois Elementary. The final decision on the names will be made at the board’s November meeting, set for 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 19, at the corporation office, 5379 Main St., Dubois. Board members encourage the public to contact them or school administrators with feedback on the proposed names. Learn more here.
• Heard that board member John Seibert will not seek reappointment to the board and will end his term in December. He represents Harbison Township, and it will be up to Harbison Township Trustee Marvin Eisenhut and the township board to appoint someone to take his place.
• Approved hiring Gary Bair as clerk of the works for the renovation project. Bair retired from Jasper Engines and serves on the board for the building corporation that is managing the renovation.
• Approved the resignations of bus driver Jeff Wigand and high school volleyball coach Misty Smith.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
After years of planning and discussion, St. Mary Catholic Church in Ireland dedicated a new...
Now that the Dubois County Health Department is open to the public again, health officials are...
The Dubois County Health Department reported seven new COVID-19 cases today.
A wave of pink, yellow and blue shot down the twisty water slide at the Jasper Municipal...
For the first time in about 60 years, Jerome Buening, 82, will miss the Dubois County 4-H Fair.
Where would you go to find Greek and Mexican foods; as well as barbecue, crepes, shaved ice and...
The Dubois County Health Department reported two new COVID-19 cases today.
For Nancy Owens of Holland, opening her own chiropractic clinic has been a longtime dream. Now,...