Meeting: North Spencer SchoolsJanuary 30, 2019
The North Spencer School Board met Monday and:
• Heard a presentation on school safety, safety drills and the corporation’s use of the CrisisGo software app that helps manage emergency situations.
• Approved the retirement of Heritage Hills High School maintenance staff member Albert Nord, effective in July.
• Made the following hires: temporary speech-language pathologist Ashley Tempel to cover a maternity leave at Chrisney Elementary, David Turnham Education Center and Heritage Hills Middle School; volunteer assistant baseball coaches John Becher, Jesse Smith, Logan Wilkerson and Mike Sisley at the high school; and instructional assistant Sherri Lautner at David Turnham.
• Approved the termination of instructional assistant Alyssa Burger at David Turnham.
• Held the hearing for amendments to the 2019 Bus Replacement Plan and approved the amendments.
• Approved purchasing five school buses from Kerlin Bus Sales of Silver Lake for $428,394.
• Discussed the option of and process for purchasing certificates of deposit for the school corporation.
• Approved the 2019-20 preschool and Latch Key programs and guidelines.
• Heard a review of mid-year data from formative assessments students take throughout the district.
• Approved the following field trips: the high school and middle school Winter Guard and Winter Percussion ensembles to events in Henryville, Floyd Knobs; Lexington, Kentucky; Elizabethtown, Kentucky, and Union, Kentucky; high school Spanish classes to a language project at the Louisville Zoo in Louisville, Kentucky; and eight high school Spanish students to the foreign language bowl competition at the University of Southern Indiana.
• Approved the following facilities use requests: the North Spencer Rural Little League to use the high school cafeteria for baseball and softball sign-ups on Feb. 9; Holiday World and Splashin’ Safari to use the high school swimming pool for life guard trainings throughout February and March; the high school After Prom to use the high school building for fundraising events in March and for the After Prom event in April; and the baseball programs to use the Patriot Athletic Center, Red Gym and White Gym for Little League spring training day March 16.
• Heard that the corporation received an HVAC rebate from Vectren for $2,940.
• Heard that the elementary schools teamed up to host a Vex Robotics Competition at Lincoln Trail Elementary on Jan. 12, with 19 teams competing, including seven North Spencer teams. The Lincoln Levelers and Team OverDrive from Lincoln Trail qualified for the state competition in March.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
The Dubois County Health Department reported today 24 new positive COVID-19 cases.
The nun serving as the Spanish language interpreter for the Dubois County Courts will tell you...
The four school corporations worked together to secure funding for 15 stop-arm cameras that were...
The Dubois County Health Department reported today 18 new positive COVID-19 cases.
Later this month, Bryce Conway will begin working as the group’s event coordinator.
The Dubois County Health Department reported today three new positive COVID-19 cases.
Was it a sign? The way this year has been going, should we be surprised that a Jasper creek...
Burgess and Courtney Heberer founded Santa Claus Exterior Cleaning after they discovered a new...