Meeting: North Spencer SchoolsJune 10, 2020
The North Spencer School Board met Monday and:
• Heard a presentation from Athletic Director Jay Burch on the 2019-20 athletic season and considerations going forward.
• Approved the resignation of Todd Wilkerson as senior sponsor at Heritage Hills High School.
• Approved the following appointments: head cook Mallory Ewing at Lincoln Trail Elementary; instructional assistant Kim Nelson at Nancy Hanks Elementary; science and reading teacher Breigh Haase, math and computer science teacher Derek Prior, senior class co-sponsors Kevin Tempel and Ashley Tempel, freshman football coach Jade Winchell, varsity assistant football coach Adam Knies and boys tennis head coach Derek Prior at the high school; and corporation summer information technology employee Duane Lorey.
• Approved Sydeny Mitchell to complete a social work internship at David Turnham Education Center during the first semester of the 2020-21 school year.
• Heard an update on current and future facilities projects from The Stenftenagel Group, which serves as clerk of the works for the corporation.
• Held the project and second preliminary determination hearings for the 2021 Renovations and Improvement Plan. No members of the public commented. A story on the plan can be found here.
• Approved the 2021 project resolution for the 2021 Renovations and Improvement Plan that will be paid for by issuing a $13.1 million bond.
• Approved the preliminary determination resolution for the 2021 Renovations and Improvement Plan.
• Approved the Declaration of Official Intent to Reimburse Expenditures resolution, which has to do with the bond issue.
• Approved the monthly transfer of $100,000 from the education fund to the operations fund.
• Approved a resolution regarding the temporary transfer of funds. The resolution is in regard to the state’s waiver on property taxes that pushed back the due date due to COVID-19. The later due date pushed back when schools receive their property tax payouts this year. The resolution allows the district to use funds from the rainy day fund to cover the shortfall until it receives its property tax payment.
• Approved the 2021 budget calendar. The budget workshop will be held at the Aug. 10 board meeting, the proposed budget will be posted online on Gateway on Aug. 12, the budget hearing will be held at the Aug. 24 board meeting, and budget adoption will take place at Sept. 28 board meeting. All board meetings are held on Mondays at 6 p.m. CT at the corporation office, 3720 E. State Road 162, Lincoln City.
• Approved food service bids for the upcoming school year.
• Approved Keusch Glass of Jasper to repair and replace six exterior doors at the high school for $21,980.
• Approved a request for asset disposal of old band instruments from the high school.
• Canceled the July 27 board meeting.
• Heard that the superintendent contract with Superintendent Dan Scherry will renew for an additional three years unless the board takes action to the contrary before the end of June.
• Heard an update to school policies and procedures concerning the COVID-19 pandemic.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
In just one week, Ryan Menke of Holland will be swimming across the Hudson River.
Out of all eight Indiana State Police posts built when ISP was formed in the 1930s, the Jasper...
Habitat for Humanity of Dubois County announced the selection of the Armstrong family to partner...
Recently, I had to contend with an epic battle between good and evil: To doughnut or not to...
The Dubois County 4-H Fair ran July 12-16 at the Dubois County 4-H Fairgrounds in Bretzville....
Josie Brown contemplated while her horse, Scotty, took a break to chew on some grass. The two...
Indiana Department of Transportation workers have several projects underway in the area.