Meeting: North Spencer SchoolsMarch 13, 2020
The North Spencer School Board met Monday and:
• Heard a presentation from Director of Technology Tama Rickelman on technology safety measures being implemented to protect corporation and student data.
• Accepted the following resignations: cafeteria assistant Jenelle Schwindel at Lincoln Trail Elementary; and instructional assistant Karen Washington and lead preschool teacher Kendra Tribbie at Nancy Hanks Elementary.
• Approved the following retirements: teacher Patti Varner at Nancy Hanks; guidance counselor Julie Becher at Heritage Hills Middle School; and math teacher Sheila Wahl at Heritage Hills High School.
• Approved the following appointments: after school assistant Megan Kinney at Chrisney Elementary; and instructional assistant Theodora Houchins at the middle school.
• Approved school administrators to appoint a lead preschool teacher at Nancy Hanks prior to the April 13 board meeting.
• Heard a presentation from the Stenftenagel Group about the process for replacing the boiler and chiller at Lincoln Trail and at Nancy Hanks.
• Authorized the publication of hearing notices for upcoming maintenance projects and preliminary determination hearings.
• Approved transferring $100,000 from the education to the operations fund.
• Approved appointing Jill Scherry to the Lincoln Heritage Public Library Board of Trustees.
• Held the first reading of the 2020-21 elementary school student handbook.
• Approved purchasing a Scag lawn mower from All Season’s Lawn Equipment of Dale for $11,529.
• Approved purchasing new cafeteria seating for Lincoln Trail from Education Furniture of Muncie for $22,654.
• Held the first hearing of the 2020-21 student transfer policy. If approved, beginning with the 2020-21 school year, North Spencer will not approve “resident” students to transfer in to Lincoln Trail Elementary School. This position is due to the school approaching capacity with current staffing levels. Transfer students currently enrolled, siblings of students currently enrolled and staff members’ children will be admitted to the school.
• Approved canceling the March 23 board meeting.
• Approved the following field trips: six middle school students to a reward lunch with the school resource officer; high school FFA students to the District 10 Leadership Competitions at South Knox High School, the State FFA Convention in Lafayette and to the Reality Store at the Dale Community Center; David Turnham Education Center and Nancy Hanks third-graders to Springtime at the Farm at the Chrisney 4-H Center; middle school eighth-graders to the Reality Store at the Dale Community Center; Nancy Hanks fourth-graders to New Harmony; and high school preparing for college and careers classes to campus visits at Ivy Tech and the University of Southern Indiana in Evansville.
• Approved Superintendent Dan Scherry to attend the Indiana Association of School Business Officials’ annual conference in French Lick.
• Approved the following facility use requests: Chrisney Youth Softball to use the Chrisney Elementary gym; and the Spencer County Fire Chiefs Association to use the high school southwest parking lot and Red Gym for training in June.
• Congratulated the Vex Robotics team on their performance at the state championship last weekend.
• Scherry informed the board of preparation for a possible pandemic illness situation.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Joslyn Mehringer doesn’t remember every step of her winding journey. But how could she? It...
The Dubois County Health Department reported today six new positive cases of COVID-19.
The declining student enrollment, the revenue shortfall, the lack of necessary resources. At a...
The Dubois County Health Department reported Thursday seven new positive cases of COVID-19.
Sagar Desai knows many people need their coffee before their days can begin, and he’s...
At the Dubois County Airport Authority's Monday evening meeting, board members discussed an...
The Dubois County Health Department reported today two new positive cases of COVID-19.
Andrea and Kurt Rohleder of Ireland will be featured on an HGTV show Sunday night.