Meeting: North Spencer SchoolsJune 12, 2019
The North Spencer School Board met Monday and:
• Approved the following resignations: instructional assistant Bethany Norrick, custodian Audrey Sodrel, third-grade teacher Lisa Schroeder and fourth-grade teacher Lori Persohn at Lincoln Trail Elementary; preschool special education teacher Krista Thomas at Nancy Hanks Elementary; and school nurse Cathy Hawkins, teacher, assistant baseball coach and assistant girls soccer coach Austin Fischer and head girls track coach Dawn Mix at Heritage Hills High School.
• Approved the following hires: instructional assistant Jenna Fulkerson at David Turnham Education Center; cafeteria assistant Dave Waninger, custodian Kensey Myers, third-grade teacher Kristin Wendell and instructional assistants Breigh Haase and Jessica Kincaid at Lincoln Trail; girls track coach Breigh Haase at Heritage Hills Middle School; and head girls track coach Josh Wilson and volunteer assistant wrestling coach Davis Jochim at the high school.
• Heard an update on construction projects around the corporation.
• Approved transferring $100,000 from the education fund to the operations fund. The transfer is a monthly action.
• Approved the 2020 budget calendar. The board will hold a budget workshop on Monday, Aug. 12, a hearing on Monday, Aug. 26, and adoption on Monday, Sept. 23. All actions are during regularly scheduled board meetings, set for 6 p.m. CT at the corporation office, 3720 E. State Road 162, Lincoln City.
• Approved bids for food products, paper goods, chemicals and small wares for the 2019-20 school year based on bid documents.
• Approved purchasing two booster heaters from B&B Food Distributors of Odon for $5,039.10.
• Held the first reading of the elementary school handbook, the middle school handbook and the high school handbook.
• Approved purchasing various pieces of equipment for career and technical education programs for a total of $30,666.96.
• Approved leasing a copier/printer from Hoosier Business Machines of Jasper for $1,267.05 per month.
• Approved canceling the Monday, July 8, board meeting.
• Heard that the corporation’s contract with Superintendent Dan Scherry will renew automatically on June 30 unless the board takes action otherwise.
• Approved the following professional leaves: Heather Adkins, Dana Campbell, Marissa Eye, Kelsey Henrickson, Lori Hermann, Jen Jazyk, Ben Kilbarger, Traci Porter and Heather Souders to the Smekens Education Literacy Retreat in French Lick; Becky Gasaway to attend Josten’s Advisors University for Student Publications in Orlando, Florida; and Dawn Mix and Miranda Mundy to Techmas in July technology conference in Madison.
• Heard that the administrators met for a leadership team retreat and that school staff will participate in a book study of “Emotional Poverty in All Demographics: How to Reduce Anger, Anxiety, and Violence in the Classroom” by Ruby Payne.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
The journey of milk from cow to ice cream cone is a short one in Dubois County, and it’s a...
With a new comprehensive plan approved, City of Jasper officials, board members and employees...
When Ronaldo Diaz Rodriguez and his nephew, Yonluy Alejo Acosta, immigrated to the United...
Tracy Lorey, superintendent of the Greater Jasper Consolidated Schools, was put in the spotlight...
The walls of Lucille (Baker) Rudolph’s room at Jasper’s Northwood Retirement Community are...
Unintentionally, the Older Americans Center has become one of Dubois County’s best-kept...
Jasper attorney John Collins clocks in every day knowing he has the ability to make a...
After two years battling stage 4 colorectal cancer, Jasper resident Mary France died in her bed...