Meeting: North Spencer SchoolsMay 8, 2019
The North Spencer School Board met Monday and:
• Approved the resignation of Head of Maintenance Tony Gessner at Nancy Hanks Elementary.
• Approved the following appointments: Elementary art teacher Lacey Kilbarger and Director of Learning Jennifer Jazyk for the corporation; science teacher Phil Burden at Heritage Hills Middle School; special education preschool teacher Krista Thomas at Nancy Hanks; and instructional assistant Ashley Stidham and special education teacher Maddie Fella at Lincoln Trail Elementary.
• Approved summer school courses and instructors.
• Approved a bid of $700,400 from Midwest Roofing and Sheet Metal of Evansville for roof replacement work at Heritage Hills High School.
• Approved a bid for $4,300 from Mel-Kay Electric Company of Evansville for lighting installation in the parking lot of the career and technical center at the Heritage Hills campus.
• Approved installing wall covering in the cafeterias of Lincoln Trail and Nancy Hanks for $8,769. The materials will be purchased from D.L. Couch of New Castle and B&E Painting of Washington will complete the installation.
• Approved a contract with Gibraltar Design of Indianapolis and The Stenftenagel Group of Jasper for design and construction oversight of the Hall of Fame Plaza proposed by the Heritage Hills High School Quarterback Club.
• Approved issuing end-of-year reduction in force and reassignment letters as necessary. This is an annual action done at the end of each school year that gives staff members reasonable assurance that they will be employed when school resumes in the fall.
• Approved the corporation’s administrative guidelines to coincide with new dyslexia policies as required by state law.
• Approved the 2019 track and wrestling schedules.
• Approved purchasing weight room equipment from Rogue of Columbus, Ohio, for $6,269.
• Rescheduled the May 27 board meeting to 1 p.m. CT Saturday, May 25, at the corporation office, 3720 E. State Road 162, Lincoln City.
• Set corporation summer business hours of 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. CT Monday, June 10, to Wednesday, July 31.
• Approved the following field trips: high school engineering students to a Louisville Bats education day in Louisville, Kentucky; Nancy Hanks sixth-graders to science, technology, engineering and math — STEM — activities at the Spencer County Youth and Community Center in Chrisney; Chrisney Elementary first- and second-graders to Honey Creek Farm in Rockport; David Turnham Education Center second-graders to the Louisville Zoo in Louisville, Kentucky; high school environmental science and physics classes to Cave Country Canoes in Marengo; David Turnham and Nancy Hanks kindergartners to Mesker Park Zoo in Evansville; Lincoln Trail second-graders to Tell City Cinemas in Tell City; Nancy Hanks fifth-graders to an Evansville Otters Education Day in Evansville; David Turnham life skills students to community-based instruction at Holiday World and Splashin’ Safari in Santa Claus; high school students to Exploring Post-Secondary Education at the University of Southern Indiana and Ivy Tech in Evansville; Nancy Hanks second-graders to Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial in Lincoln City; Chrisney Elementary second-graders to STEM activities at the Spencer County Youth and Community Center in Chrisney; Lincoln Trail second-graders to Trunnell’s Farm Market and Owensboro Park in Owensboro, Kentucky; corporation sixth-graders to Move Up Day at Heritage Hills Middle School; Nancy Hanks first-graders to Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial and Lincoln State Park in Lincoln City; high school theater students to an Elementary Theater Arts Tour at the elementary schools; David Turnham third-graders to Cape Sandy Quarry in Leavenworth; David Turnham sixth-graders to Louisville Zoo in Louisville, Kentucky; and high school summer gym students to Breakaway Lanes in Huntingburg, Skate Palace in Jasper and canoeing in Milltown.
• Approved Superintendent Dan Scherry to attend the Superintendent Summer Study Council in New Albany.
• Approved the following facilities use requests: Actors Community Theatre to use the high school auditorium for “Here I Grew Up” rehearsals in April, May and June; and the Robyn’s Nest Spring Fun Fashion Show to use the high school auditorium on May 11.
• Congratulated several students on their success at the STEM Challenge at Oakland City University in Oakland City.
• Congratulated auto students Mason Sandage and Wyatt Keller for their performances at the Skills USA competition. Sandage placed first in motorcycle technology, and Keller placed second in power equipment technology.
• Thanked the St. Meinrad Knights of Columbus for a $1,185 donation to the corporation’s special education department.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
The nun serving as the Spanish language interpreter for the Dubois County Courts will tell you...
The four school corporations worked together to secure funding for 15 stop-arm cameras that were...
The Dubois County Health Department reported today 18 new positive COVID-19 cases.
Later this month, Bryce Conway will begin working as the group’s event coordinator.
The Dubois County Health Department reported today three new positive COVID-19 cases.
Was it a sign? The way this year has been going, should we be surprised that a Jasper creek...
Burgess and Courtney Heberer founded Santa Claus Exterior Cleaning after they discovered a new...
The Dubois County Health Department reported today 12 new positive COVID-19 cases.