Meeting: Library BoardsAugust 9, 2019
Dubois County Contractual Library Board
The Dubois County Contractual Library Board met Thursday and:
• Approved joining the Indiana State Library internet access consortium, which provides internet access to local libraries at a discount.
• Discussed the proposed 2020 budget, which shows an operating budget of $944,972. The board will hold a public hearing on the budget at its next meeting, set for 4 p.m. Sept. 12 at the Jasper Library Annex, 1103 Main St.
• Heard that just over 1,600 participants completed the summer learning program, with about 750 of them registered on BeanStack, the library’s online management system for reading programs.
• Approved a tuition reimbursement for Birdseye Branch Manager Amy Jo Lytle.
• Heard that there is a Teacher Tool Kit on the library’s website with library resources that teachers may find useful. It can be found at www.jdcpl.lib.in.us/PDF/TeachersKit.pdf.
• Heard that the library now offers the entire Dubois County Herald archive online through Newspapers.com.
• Heard that the library signed up for the entire RB Digital collection. The library uses the app to offer patrons e-books and e-audiobooks. There are now 31,000 titles available.
• Heard that the library is building a new website that will launch later this year.
Jasper Public Library Board
The Jasper Public Library Board met Thursday and:
• Heard that Bethany Sinkhorn joined the children’s department staff.
• Heard that the library is offering bilingual story time once a month at Maple Grove Park on the north side of town near Jasper Middle School. The next one is scheduled for 6 p.m. Aug. 29.
• Heard that the summer learning program went well. The kick-off party had about 300 attendees, and the wrap-up party had about 200. The science summer camps the library hosted also went well.
• Heard that construction crews have started laying the foundation of the arts wing of the Thyen Clark Cultural Center. The building will bring the Jasper Public Library and Jasper Community Arts Commission together under one roof at the corner of Mill and Third streets.
• Discussed the 2020 proposed budget, which shows an operation budget of $1,337,544. The board will hold a public hearing on the budget at its next meeting, set for 4:30 p.m. Sept. 12 at the Jasper Library Annex, 1103 Main St. Board members directed library administrators to look for a way to increase the stipend employees are paid to help cover the cost of health insurance, which the library does not offer.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
The journey of milk from cow to ice cream cone is a short one in Dubois County, and it’s a...
With a new comprehensive plan approved, City of Jasper officials, board members and employees...
When Ronaldo Diaz Rodriguez and his nephew, Yonluy Alejo Acosta, immigrated to the United...
Tracy Lorey, superintendent of the Greater Jasper Consolidated Schools, was put in the spotlight...
The walls of Lucille (Baker) Rudolph’s room at Jasper’s Northwood Retirement Community are...
Unintentionally, the Older Americans Center has become one of Dubois County’s best-kept...
Jasper attorney John Collins clocks in every day knowing he has the ability to make a...
After two years battling stage 4 colorectal cancer, Jasper resident Mary France died in her bed...