Meeting: Jasper Community Arts CommissionFebruary 5, 2020
The Jasper Community Arts Commission met Tuesday and:
• Heard of recent arts performances that took place at various Jasper venues recently. Well-Strung performed at the Astra Theatre and brought in 166 attendees, who bought most of the band’s available CD stock. The Hiplet Ballerinas took the Jasper Arts Center stage on Saturday and 284 people attended. The group’s stage and tour manager spoke highly of the arts center and its staff in an email after the event.
• Heard that on Friday, the Goldstein-Peled-Fiterstein Trio will perform classical music at the Jasper Arts Center and tickets are available. Later this month, Shaun Johnson’s Big Band Experience with Tonic Sol-fa will perform at the center, and tickets are available for that performance, too.
• Approved seeking quotes for the arts department’s 2020 season guide and posters. Also approved three artists to be part of that upcoming season.
• Heard that the arts center stage is experiencing technical, electrical difficulties. An Indianapolis company will visit the facility next week to assess the issue.
• Heard that this month, the work of Esther Randall of Kentucky will be on display at the Krempp Gallery. A reception will be held for the prismacolor and copic marker artist from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the gallery.
• Heard that a Crossroads, Change in Rural America Series event will take place at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 12, at the Dubois County Museum. It will feature farming and family historian Lee Bilderback. The gathering will focus on the tradition of agriculture and farming in the county, as well as how the crafts have evolved over the years. Two more events will follow in April.
• Approved purchasing Chalk Walk T-shirts from Jasper Embroidery. The annual event is scheduled to take place on Saturday, May 30.
• Heard that the construction of the Thyen-Clark Cultural Center is still on schedule. The building — located near the corner of Third Avenue and Mill Street — is slated to be substantially completed later this year.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Balancing work while parenting in the time of coronavirus
The Dubois County Health Department is accepting donations of homemade face masks and other...
In this age of social distancing due to COVID-19, social media is helping to fill in the human...
Memorial Hospital and Health Care Center has a plan for COVID-19, and has been working daily to...
Jasper Engines and Transmissions has converted one of its racing trailers into an alternate...
Tammy Lampert knows that Dubois County residents love to see old buildings repurposed and given...
Really, the process of distilling spirits and making hand sanitizer isn’t so different.
The Dubois County Health Department is advising parents to enforce social distancing with their...