Meeting: Jasper Community Arts CommissionJanuary 3, 2019
The Jasper Community Arts Commission met Wednesday and:
• Elected commission officers for the year. All will remain the same as in 2018: Mike Jones will serve as president, Gary Moeller will serve as vice president and Linda Kahle will serve as secretary.
• Heard that 40 pieces from 23 artists will be on display in a portrait invitational exhibit at the Krempp Gallery this month. Among them is Shepard Fairey, who is the creator of the Obama “Hope” campaign. The opening reception will take place in the Krempp Gallery today from 5 to 7 p.m.
• Heard a report from Arts Director Kyle Rupert detailing December events, including a performance of “A Christmas Carol” that sold just under 600 tickets.
• Also heard that Mark Chesnutt and Joe Diffie will perform on Saturday, Jan. 19. The show is currently sold-out with a waitlist of about 60 people, so those who have tickets and can’t make it are encouraged to contact the Arts Center to return their tickets so others can enjoy the show. The Poulenc Trio will perform at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 27, at the Jasper Arts Center. Only a handful of tickets are available.
• Rupert also ran through the arts department’s 2018 year-end report. Revenue was up from 2017, ticket sales grew for the third consecutive year, and “really all areas, we saw significant growth and we hope to continue that as we keep moving forward,” Rupert said. Expenditures remained about the same in 2018 as they were in 2017.
• Approved the filling of a summer intern position. The intern will help out arts department staff. The position is a budgeted item.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
In celebration of Newspapers in Education Week, we asked elementary schoolers from Ireland,...
More than 500 attendees flooded the Jasper Community Arts Center and parts of Vincennes...
Severe weather that included wind gusts approaching 50 mph left its mark on Dubois County...
The St. John Bosco Youth Ministry in Jasper has hired Jacqueline Ripberger as its new director.
More than 100 people came out Wednesday to support the Birdseye Volunteer Fire Department’s...
The basketball game between a select group of Southridge High School faculty members and several...
The board of directors for Habitat for Humanity of Dubois County announced Wednesday that Andrea...
After 36 years at Southeast Dubois Schools, Superintendent Rick Allen, 57, is retiring.