Meeting: Jasper Common CouncilFebruary 21, 2019
The Jasper Common Council met Wednesday and:
• Approved an ordinance authorizing a $3.5 million line of credit to be in place for the funding of the Thyen-Clark Cultural Center, pending receipt of tax credits for the project, which will bring the Jasper Public Library and Jasper Community Arts under one roof at the corner of Third and Mill streets. Financing must be in place to cover the city’s portion of the costs while awaiting the tax credits.
• Approved an ordinance creating Economic Development Income Tax Revenue Funds for the cultural center project.
• Held a public hearing for and approved the appropriation of the $3.5 million line of credit for the Thyen-Clark Cultural Center.
• Held a public hearing for and approved the appropriation of $180,000 from the Riverboat Fund for the city’s portion of the Hoosier desk site purchased for the cultural center.
• Heard a Utility Service Board report from Bud Hauersperger, general manager of utilities.
• Approved the first reading of an ordinance enacting a 12 percent water rate increase for city water customers. The increase would start on the May bill. The second and final reading of the ordinance will be at the council’s next meeting, set for 7 p.m. Wednesday, March 20, at City Hall, 610 Main St.
• Adopted a resolution approving the purchase of one-half of the cultural center property from the library.
• Adopted a resolution accepting the donation of artwork to Jasper Community Arts.
• Heard from Mayor Dean Vonderheide that the groundbreaking for the Thyen-Clark Cultural Center has been tentatively set for 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 2, at the site located at Third and Mill street.
• Heard from Vonderheide that the Fairfield Inn and Suites hotel, which is part of the River Centre development, will open on April 19.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
A plaque on the east side of the Dubois County Courthouse honors seven Revolutionary War...
Preschool is now more accessible for low-income Indiana families.
Ryan Menke participated in the Navy SEAL Hudson River Swim, the first sanctioned swim across the...
A recent Huntingburg Airport intern created a guidebook for interns and students interested in...
Many are familiar with the motorcycle gang archetype — rugged outlaws prone to violence. In...
Construction Manager Pat Gress has about 500 photos on his phone chronicling the construction of...
Jose Dubon has announced his plan to run on the Republican ticket for the Huntingburg Common...
No sex, no drugs, no race-relations and no politics. When Clint Hall of Huntingburg tells jokes,...