Meeting: Jasper Common CouncilFebruary 21, 2019
The Jasper Common Council met Wednesday and:
• Approved an ordinance authorizing a $3.5 million line of credit to be in place for the funding of the Thyen-Clark Cultural Center, pending receipt of tax credits for the project, which will bring the Jasper Public Library and Jasper Community Arts under one roof at the corner of Third and Mill streets. Financing must be in place to cover the city’s portion of the costs while awaiting the tax credits.
• Approved an ordinance creating Economic Development Income Tax Revenue Funds for the cultural center project.
• Held a public hearing for and approved the appropriation of the $3.5 million line of credit for the Thyen-Clark Cultural Center.
• Held a public hearing for and approved the appropriation of $180,000 from the Riverboat Fund for the city’s portion of the Hoosier desk site purchased for the cultural center.
• Heard a Utility Service Board report from Bud Hauersperger, general manager of utilities.
• Approved the first reading of an ordinance enacting a 12 percent water rate increase for city water customers. The increase would start on the May bill. The second and final reading of the ordinance will be at the council’s next meeting, set for 7 p.m. Wednesday, March 20, at City Hall, 610 Main St.
• Adopted a resolution approving the purchase of one-half of the cultural center property from the library.
• Adopted a resolution accepting the donation of artwork to Jasper Community Arts.
• Heard from Mayor Dean Vonderheide that the groundbreaking for the Thyen-Clark Cultural Center has been tentatively set for 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 2, at the site located at Third and Mill street.
• Heard from Vonderheide that the Fairfield Inn and Suites hotel, which is part of the River Centre development, will open on April 19.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
The Dubois County Health Department confirms four more positive cases of novel coronavirus,...
The Dubois County Health Department confirms seven more positive cases of novel coronavirus,...
Celestine Elementary’s Last Year
The Dubois County Health Department confirms two more positive cases of novel coronavirus,...
Of the 169 Dubois County residents who have tested positive for COVID-19, a total of six have...
Three candidates are seeking the Democratic nomination for District 8 U.S. Representative.
Southridge High School graduated 116 in the Class of 2020 last week when e-learning came to an...
Gov. Eric J. Holcomb announced that because health indicators remain positive, most of the state...