Meeting: Jasper Board of Public WorksJuly 17, 2020
The Jasper Board of Public Works and Safety met Friday and:
• Heard that no bids were received on a project that would have seen pavement striping removal on St. Charles Street.
• Approved DC Multisport to host the Spirit of Strassenfest Bike Ride. The ride will consist of three routes that span 20, 50 and 65 miles. The event will take place on the morning of Saturday, Aug. 1, and will both begin and end at the city’s Jaycee Park. Pre-registration is required, hand sanitizer will be available at various locations and social distancing will be promoted at the ride.
• Heard that work is progressing at the Thyen-Clark Cultural Center. Arts Director Kyle Rupert told the board that there were no issues to report. Glass is being installed on the library side of the building, panels are being put up on the outside of the building and curb work is finishing up.
• Heard of two Jasper Police Department resignations. The first is Jeremy Burger, a patrolman who resigned July 14, and the second is Demi Schmitt, a dispatcher who will leave the department on July 28. The board approved opening the application process for the open officer role and will tap previous applicants for the dispatcher job.
• Approved junking Wally, an inflatable police officer previously used at public events.
• Approved fixing the police department’s dispatch radio system at a cost of $5,646.46. The work will be done by Advanced Communication and consists of repairing a channel card.
• Approved changing the probationary status of volunteer firefighter Mason Berg, who has served on the fire department for a year.
• Approved a street closure request on Anderson Street, between Seventh and Eighth streets, to work on transformers and components associated with the city electric department’s backup facility on Anderson Street. The closure will last one day, though a date for the work has not been set.
• Approved another street closure request on Northwood Avenue, from U.S. 231 to Westwood Boulevard, for a project that will see the installation of a new 12-inch water line in the area. As part of the approval, the intersections of Northwood and Market Street, Leslie Drive, Howard Drive and Westwood Boulevard will be closed as needed, and the roadway will be restricted to two lanes during the trenching. The contract time period is 60 days, but City Engineer Chad Hurm said the work will probably take between four and five weeks and begin in mid- to late August. Bids will be opened on Monday.
• Approved a request to close Gregory Lane at its intersection with Lechner Lane to extend the curb in the area, rebuild an inlet and replace a storm sewer. The street will close for one day.
• Approved an internet agreement with Smithville Fiber for services at city buildings. The price of the five-year contract is $5,388 per month. Also approved a separate internet agreement for the Jasper City Mill, at a cost of $100 per month, with a $300 upfront charge for installation, pending completion of legal review.
• Approved an encroachment request from Hatfield & Peters LLC to change the size of the company’s awning. The awning will change from a half-moon to a flat shape.
• Rejected quotes for furniture that would have been placed in city hall’s upstairs conference room. The furniture wasn’t what the city was looking for, and now, a plan that covers all upgrades needed at city hall will be devised.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
This year is the 40th anniversary of the Herbstfest.
The 2021 Huntingburg Herbstfest Little and Junior Miss Queen Pageant is set for 7:30 p.m. Friday...
The 2021 Huntingburg Herbstfest Miss and Pre-Teen Miss Queen Pageants were Sunday at the...
Renovation plans for the Southwest Dubois County School Corporation, including a new athletic...
A recommended route for the Mid-States Corridor project is still on track to be identified by...
The construction of a multi-million dollar aquatic center in Jasper is still a long ways away,...
The Holland Community Festival returns this weekend with a new theme that’s so straightforward...
The 2021 Huntingburg Herbstfest Miss and Pre-Teen Miss Queen Pageants are set for Sunday, Sept....