Meeting: Jasper Board of Public WorksJune 23, 2020
The Jasper Board of Public Works and Safety met Tuesday and:
• Opened bids for new chairs for the second floor of Jasper City Hall. The quotes were taken under advisement for review.
• Approved Young’s Masonry to block off sections of sidewalk and parking spaces near 502 Jackson St. as the company works at Hatfield & Peters LLC. The work will begin after July 13 and will last approximately four weeks.
• Heard a request from Hatfield & Peters LLC to change the size of the company’s awning. The awning would change from a half-moon to a flat shape if approved. The matter will be discussed at the board’s next meeting, which will be held on Friday, July 17, at 8 a.m., in the council chambers at city hall, 610 Main St.
• Approved the dedication of right of way and utility and drainage easements for Timber Creek III, a subdivision that could be located near the intersections of County Road 400 West and 150 North.
• Approved a public utility and drainage easement along the side of Boogie Way, a property on the east side of St. Charles Street, just south of State Road 56, that could bring single-family homes to a 6 1/2 acre tract of land.
• Heard of an ingress-egress easement request for a property located at the corner of St. Charles Street and 13th Street. A home could be placed on that lot in the future. Board members asked for more information before they make a decision.
• Approved One Dubois County to use the Schroeder Complex parking lots from 4 p.m. to midnight for a pride event, pending the meeting of liability insurance requirements. The gathering will consist of a free, socially-distanced movie night and food trucks.
• Approved Jasper police officer Manson Poteet’s starting date to be to be Wednesday. After the meeting adjourned, Poteet was sworn in.
• Approved junking 34 fire department air packs. The department recently replaced those items with new equipment.
• Heard a firework safety reminder. Guidelines and other information will be released by the fire department in the near future.
• Tabled a request for an encroachment at 1677 Sweet Gum Drive. The homeowner will speak to the contractor who installed a fence in violation on the property, and the homeowner will return if necessary.
• Heard that the city’s first Downtown Chowdown event will take place on Wednesday, July 8. The event will run from 4 to 8 p.m. in the area of the Courthouse Square. The event will recur on the second Wednesday of the month through October.
• Approved an annual telecom care agreement with Matrix Integration. The amount paid quarterly is $3,933.75.
• Approved an agreement with Dubois County concerning the use of the Ruxer Golf Course clubhouse and parking lot as a potential site for a COVID-19 testing center. OptumServe, the testing group formerly operating at the Jasper Armory, identified the Ruxer building as a possibility for the site. The rental cost is about $700 per month.
• Heard of an executive order that identifies areas zoned business, industrial and conservation park and allows testing centers to be located inside them during the duration of the ongoing public health care emergency.
• Approved Astro Security to provide fire alarm and suppression services at a cost of $1,475.
• Recognized two Jasper Police Department officers for being named Carnegie Heroes. A full story can be found here.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
The Dubois County Health Department reported today 24 new positive COVID-19 cases.
The nun serving as the Spanish language interpreter for the Dubois County Courts will tell you...
The four school corporations worked together to secure funding for 15 stop-arm cameras that were...
The Dubois County Health Department reported today 18 new positive COVID-19 cases.
Later this month, Bryce Conway will begin working as the group’s event coordinator.
The Dubois County Health Department reported today three new positive COVID-19 cases.
Was it a sign? The way this year has been going, should we be surprised that a Jasper creek...
Burgess and Courtney Heberer founded Santa Claus Exterior Cleaning after they discovered a new...