Meeting: Huntingburg ParksJune 18, 2013
The Huntingburg Parks Board met Monday and:
”¢ Reviewed a rendering of a possible design for an archery park at the southwest corner of Phoenix Drive and Chestnut Street that includes 70- and 50-yard ranges along with a 20-yard youth range. Also included in the design are two shelterhouses, a playground and a 40-car parking lot as well as a safety berm along the south side to protect nearby houses and trees. The board said the design is the “Cadillac package” and noted it could be scaled back initially and added to later. Board members requested cost estimates for the various features.
”¢ Directed Parks Director Jim Rueger to check with the Indiana 15 Regional Planning Commission on the possibility of working with the commission to apply for a grant from the Indiana Department of Natural Resources for the proposed archery park. Rueger said the grant would pay for 75 percent of everything except for a playground, while the city would cover the remaining 25 percent.
”¢ Heard from Rueger that attendance at Dubois County Bombers games at League Stadium this year has more than doubled since last season. The average attendance per game is 908, while last year’s average was about 380 per game, he said.
”¢ Learned that the splash park is back up and running after being down for eight days when the sensor that children step on to activate the water failed and the new sensor was being shipped.
”¢ Heard that Rueger talked to Jason Schmitt, president of the Dubois County Park Board, about the disc golf course at the county park. Schmitt said at least one person uses the course every day. The Huntingburg board decided to hold off on further examining the possibility of installing a course in the city because the county course is nearby and is not crowded.
”¢ Received a report from Rueger that the city pool had taken in $11,602 as of Friday, about $3,800 more than last year at this time, after an increase in the admission price. The pool opened for the season May 25.
”¢ Learned that several floorboards in the first few rows of League Stadium are weathered and need to be replaced, which Rueger said is a time-consuming process because each chair must be removed and reinstalled.
”¢ Heard from Rueger that he will get quotes to replace the fencing at the Bark Park.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Planning for the Jasper park began in 2013 and culminated with a groundbreaking last week. The...
Kids from across the county are designing, building and creating with the Makers Spark club this...
Hippotherapy helps patients with physical disabilities develop life skills and improves their...
Gov. Eric Holcomb recognized Kimball International at the Indiana Statehouse Monday as a...
Josh Kellems has joined Tierra-Derco International, known as TDI Brands, as division manager of...
A multi-agency effort involving two separate search warrants in the early morning hours Friday...
he St. Patrick’s Celebration winners have been announced. The event was held earlier this...
An important lesson Nick McKown learned about the power of words nearly 2 1/2 years ago will...