Meeting: Greater Jasper SchoolsNovember 26, 2019
The Greater Jasper School Board met Monday and:
• Recognized Jasper High School volleyball players Laura Gobert, Reagan Egbert, Riley Merder, Kate Green and Meredith Hilgefort as the Wildcat Spotlight for making the Academic All-State team.
• Approved a $500,000 additional appropriation in the education fund to cover end-of-year costs. The funds are available, but had not been appropriated as part of the 2019 budget. Superintendent Tracy Lorey said the school may not need to spend all $500,000, but appropriated that amount just in case because administrators are not allowed to spend funds that aren’t appropriated.
• Approved the following resignations: instructional assistant Charity Elkins at Fifth Street Elementary; instructional assistant Tori Testerman at Ireland Elementary; night custodian Randy Begle at Tenth Street Elementary; and Spell Bowl coach Kari Schaefer at Jasper Middle School.
• Approved the following staff recommendations: Math Bowl coach Amy Buechlein at Ireland Elementary; Spell Bowl co-coaches Samantha Venderly and Kelli Schmitt and assistant wrestling coach Kyle Mullins at the middle school; dance and cheer assistant Courtney Foy at the middle and high schools; part-time cafeteria staff Deb Goeppner and Future Farmers of America co-sponsors Andrew Helming and Brianna Lammers at the high school; and deaf and hard of hearing teacher Staci Zehr at the Exceptional Children’s Cooperative.
• Approved the Business Professionals of America club to attend the State Leadership Conference in Indianapolis.
• Heard an overview of the Parent School Safety Academy that was held last week. The academy taught parents about the corporation’s safety protocols and gave administrators a chance to gather parent feedback.
• Heard that the school was awarded a grant from the Dubois County Community Foundation for social-emotional learning tools.
• Approved bids for furniture at Jasper Elementary. The furniture will be purchased from several companies for a total of $382,786.92.
• Approved purchasing 50 Diversiboards — which are combination projector and dry-erase boards — for Jasper Elementary for $24,278.89 from CDI Technology of Aurora, Illinois.
• Approved Messmer Mechanical of Jasper to replace the kitchen make-up air unit at Jasper Middle School for $131,250 and Alpha Mechanical of Evansville to install the computer controls for the equipment.
• Approved the calendar for the 2020-21 school year. It is the calendar used by all four Dubois County school districts.
• Heard that the corporation received its Teacher Appreciation Grant from the Indiana Department of Education and distributed the funds. Teachers evaluated to be highly effective were awarded $717.68 and teachers rated effective were granted $574.14.
• Approved awarding eligible administrators rated effective or highly effective bonuses in the same amounts awarded to teachers. The bonuses will be paid from the rainy day fund.
• Heard that the December board meeting will be 1 p.m. Monday, Dec. 23, at the corporation office, 1520 St. Charles St., Jasper, and that the 2020 reorganization meeting will take place at 8 a.m. Monday, Jan. 6, at the corporation office.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Mya Englert, the winner of Forest Park Junior-Senior High School's Poetry Out Loud competition,...
When Jackson Wilhite, a 2012 Heritage Hills High School graduate, was in fifth grade, he had the...
As both postman and family man, Matt Lorey delivers.
A Jasper man received one of the state’s highest honors on Thursday night.
Shirley J. Ray believes we need to learn every day. As the first-ever director of the Dubois...
Work to add campsites, extend trails and build a restroom/information building could start at...
A one-room schoolhouse that educated generations of Dubois County residents has finally come...
A bill that is moving through the Indiana Senate would extend the statute of limitations for...