Meeting: Greater Jasper SchoolsNovember 26, 2019
The Greater Jasper School Board met Monday and:
• Recognized Jasper High School volleyball players Laura Gobert, Reagan Egbert, Riley Merder, Kate Green and Meredith Hilgefort as the Wildcat Spotlight for making the Academic All-State team.
• Approved a $500,000 additional appropriation in the education fund to cover end-of-year costs. The funds are available, but had not been appropriated as part of the 2019 budget. Superintendent Tracy Lorey said the school may not need to spend all $500,000, but appropriated that amount just in case because administrators are not allowed to spend funds that aren’t appropriated.
• Approved the following resignations: instructional assistant Charity Elkins at Fifth Street Elementary; instructional assistant Tori Testerman at Ireland Elementary; night custodian Randy Begle at Tenth Street Elementary; and Spell Bowl coach Kari Schaefer at Jasper Middle School.
• Approved the following staff recommendations: Math Bowl coach Amy Buechlein at Ireland Elementary; Spell Bowl co-coaches Samantha Venderly and Kelli Schmitt and assistant wrestling coach Kyle Mullins at the middle school; dance and cheer assistant Courtney Foy at the middle and high schools; part-time cafeteria staff Deb Goeppner and Future Farmers of America co-sponsors Andrew Helming and Brianna Lammers at the high school; and deaf and hard of hearing teacher Staci Zehr at the Exceptional Children’s Cooperative.
• Approved the Business Professionals of America club to attend the State Leadership Conference in Indianapolis.
• Heard an overview of the Parent School Safety Academy that was held last week. The academy taught parents about the corporation’s safety protocols and gave administrators a chance to gather parent feedback.
• Heard that the school was awarded a grant from the Dubois County Community Foundation for social-emotional learning tools.
• Approved bids for furniture at Jasper Elementary. The furniture will be purchased from several companies for a total of $382,786.92.
• Approved purchasing 50 Diversiboards — which are combination projector and dry-erase boards — for Jasper Elementary for $24,278.89 from CDI Technology of Aurora, Illinois.
• Approved Messmer Mechanical of Jasper to replace the kitchen make-up air unit at Jasper Middle School for $131,250 and Alpha Mechanical of Evansville to install the computer controls for the equipment.
• Approved the calendar for the 2020-21 school year. It is the calendar used by all four Dubois County school districts.
• Heard that the corporation received its Teacher Appreciation Grant from the Indiana Department of Education and distributed the funds. Teachers evaluated to be highly effective were awarded $717.68 and teachers rated effective were granted $574.14.
• Approved awarding eligible administrators rated effective or highly effective bonuses in the same amounts awarded to teachers. The bonuses will be paid from the rainy day fund.
• Heard that the December board meeting will be 1 p.m. Monday, Dec. 23, at the corporation office, 1520 St. Charles St., Jasper, and that the 2020 reorganization meeting will take place at 8 a.m. Monday, Jan. 6, at the corporation office.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Dubois County Engineer Brent Wendholt has been named Engineer of the Year by the Association of...
The Dubois County Health Department reported today three new positive cases of COVID-19.
Indiana State Police Superintendent Douglas Carter has announced the promotion of Senior Trooper...
The Dubois County Health Department reported today 24 new positive cases of COVID-19.
Joslyn Mehringer doesn’t remember every step of her winding journey. But how could she? It...
The Dubois County Health Department reported today six new positive cases of COVID-19.
The declining student enrollment, the revenue shortfall, the lack of necessary resources. At a...
The Dubois County Health Department reported Thursday seven new positive cases of COVID-19.